SailBlog

06 September 2012
30 August 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
06 August 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
13 July 2012 | BC, Canada
25 June 2012 | Vancouver, BC
16 June 2012 | SaltSpring Island
24 May 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
06 May 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
22 April 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
05 April 2012
20 March 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
01 March 2012 | St. George's, Grenada
16 February 2012 | St. George's, Grenada
05 February 2012 | Pampatar, Venezuela
25 January 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
12 January 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
31 December 2011 | Woburn, Grenada
21 December 2011 | Woburn, Grenada
14 December 2011 | Carriacou, Grenada
02 December 2011 | Woburn, Grenada

Going nowhere fast

24 May 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
Jules
Yet another fun-filled action packed few weeks here in paradise. So .. what's been happening?

We ran out of water and had to make a trip with the Buzzard into St. George's to fill up at the dock. Stan, Cora, Jeanne, Ron, Chris, Linda and Jeff came with us for the ride, which was just as well as we still don't have any crew. The water's cheap ($80 US for 30 tonnes) but because we're over 200 tonnes we have to pay $300 US for a pilot to take us into the dock. Still it's good to know we're full again and won't have to worry about that for another six months or so. By which time, fingers crossed, we should have the new awning up and be catching our own anyway.

The weather was relatively calm which was good as we've been having quite a lot of wind recently. A squall came through the other night and several boats dragged, including Calabuig, the 100ft yacht anchored near us. We didn't hear anything above the wind and the rain and because we're the furthest out and the wind was blowing in, but apparently there were horns blaring and dinghies roaring around and people shouting for help.

We bought a new (used) 15 hp Honda 4-stroke outboard with the hope that it would be more economical that the gas guzzling Yamaha and easier for me to run. Mike promises me it will be once he fixes the choke and carb, but so far we've had to be towed twice which doesn't inspire my confidence. We now have five outboards, or parts thereof, on the deck ... maybe we should open a shop. (Breaking news: Mike's fixed the problems and it now starts first pull.)

Last Saturday we were at Island View to watch the Champions League Final which was a great afternoon, not least because Chelsea won and our friend Joe is a Bayern Munich supporter, but the whole atmosphere and local involvement was quite something. Afterwards we went to see Stan and Cora et al play their final gig before leaving for the summer and Mike was in such a celebratory mood he was up dancing on the table.

We finally got rid of all the truck tyres that we used to use as fenders which has really opened up the back deck and created some space. It started a bit of clean up campaign which included the crews and led us to a stash of rotten fish that had been buried under a pile of flags on the shelf just inside the crew quarters' door. Tony wasn't a particularly keen fisherman so we think they must have been there since Johan left; the smell was horrendous and days later we're still trying to fumigate the place.

Last Friday night we thought we'd lost Toby on the beach. He's normally not far from the water and constantly bringing sticks or coconuts or conch shells for us throw, but when we went to leave he just wasn't there. Mike wanted to leave him there till the morning but in the end we stayed and had two more beers waiting for him to eventually show up. The next night we found out some locals had come hunting and left a young bitch on the island. We've seen her twice now, a cute little brown and white thing which may or may not be in process of creating Toby dogs ... if she does there's already a waiting list of people who want a dog just like Toby.

Yesterday we went with Jeff to take his boat round to St. David's ready to haul out. It was fairly rough and we were heading straight into the wind so it was motoring all the way but it all went ok. He leaves next Tuesday and is really looking forward to getting back to the family ... apparently there's only so much sun and rum you can have before you get bored, but we'll miss him and will endeavour to stop off in Toronto to see him and June when we're in Canada.

After St. David's we went up to Grenville to visit a friend of Mike's on one of the Cariacom mini-freighters that go between here and Trinidad. The local dock was a hive of activity reminiscent of our time in the Cape Verdes. There was yelling, and bustling and crates being loaded and crabs being tied in boxes, there was also supposed to be cows but they didn't want to go. As so often happens when we're out and about and not in the tourist areas, we were the only white faces to be seen and were more than welcomed.

We heard from James today to say he'll be back tomorrow, and this time I'm holding my breath; there can't possibly be any more people to die on Union. Once he's back we've got a week or so of work that Mike needs help with and then we're booking flights to Canada. It will be the first time Mike's been off the boat for years, and it will be great for him to see all his long lost Canadian friends.

Yesterday afternoon we were supposed to be having a stuffed breadfruit cook-off on Hog Island. Mike mixed up his three different stuffings and off we went, only the locals who were supposed to be joining us didn't turn up (probably something to do with the rain we had in the morning. It's now the end of the dry season, not that we had much of one, and the beginning of the hurricane season so we're getting more rain.). Anyway, luckily Jeanne and Ron were there with more than enough food to BBQ so we just cooked the stuffing without the breadfruit and a good time was had by all.

Saturday it's my birthday and I'm not sure yet what the plan is, it may even be turtle watching. Many thanks to all that have sent birthday wishes.

Love to everyone ....

PS It's now the next day and James hasn't turned up ... guess it's time to stop holding my breath, and look for more crew.
Comments
Vessel Name: Flying Buzzard
Vessel Make/Model: Ferguson Bros. Ex steam tug
Hailing Port: Maryport, Cumbria, UK
Flying Buzzard's Photos - Main
40 Photos
Created 6 August 2012
44 Photos
Created 26 October 2011
19 Photos
Created 22 June 2011
Hog Island hog roast, Robin's mast, Bequia Easter Regatta, Sushi party, Grenada
126 Photos
Created 19 April 2011
Some of Julie and Twents pics. and Karin's from the salvage in Saltwhistle Bay, the tug and yacht in Bequia and Grand Etang. Also Carriacou Carnival.
107 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
Barbados, Vancouver, Vancouver Island
24 Photos
Created 1 December 2010
Including Christmas and New Year 2010/2011
115 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
23 Photos
Created 19 September 2010
64 Photos
Created 2 August 2010
21 Photos
Created 17 July 2010
Union Island, Tobago Cays, Bequia
99 Photos
Created 2 May 2010
72 Photos
Created 3 April 2010
Third, and final(?) visit to Los Testigos
29 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our trip with Julie and Twent
19 Photos
Created 11 January 2010
123 Photos
Created 11 January 2010
First visit on our way from Trinidad to Isla Margarita
30 Photos
Created 3 January 2010
58 Photos
Created 22 November 2009
18 Photos
Created 29 October 2009
113 Photos
Created 13 June 2009
115 Photos
Created 27 April 2009
Says it all!
18 Photos
Created 23 April 2009
Praia and Cidada Velha
27 Photos
Created 3 April 2009
37 Photos
Created 21 March 2009
23 Photos
Created 20 March 2009
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2009
Sao Vicente,Cabo Verde
18 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 March 2009
Everyday scenes of boating life.
11 Photos
Created 1 March 2009
Life in general
21 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 13 February 2009

Passing on Lifelines on the Journey of a Lifetime

Port: Maryport, Cumbria, UK

Current Position