Foggy Mountain

05 September 2012 | North Palm Beach, FL
12 June 2012 | North Palm Beach Marine
18 May 2012 | Exiting NW Providence Channel
17 May 2012 | NE Providence Channel
16 May 2012 | 88 Miles East of NE Providence Channel
15 May 2012 | 210 Miles East of NE Providence Channel
14 May 2012 | 170 Miles NE of Mayaguana Island
13 May 2012 | 180 Miles NE of Turks and Caicos
12 May 2012 | Still North of Puerto Rico
11 May 2012 | 170 Miles North of Puerto Rico
10 May 2012 | 50 Miles NE of the BVIs
09 May 2012 | 25 Miles West of Barbuda
08 May 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
07 May 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
05 May 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
05 May 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
11 April 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
09 April 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
08 April 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
07 April 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua

Haulout Reflections

27 November 2011 | Mt. Hartman Bay, Grenada
Jeff
Our haulout days had different objectives each day, but had similar flow. We got up at our usual 6:00 am, ate our breakfast and donned our work clothes. Donning them off the boat to keep their dirt off the boat is paramount and endless task. You see, when we are living on the hard we get on to the boat by climbing a ladder to the side deck. Once on the side deck we removed our sandels or flip flops and left them there on a towel. The towel also served as a welcome mat to wipe our feet on. Wearing sandels is not the best thing to wear while working with all the sanding dust and paint droppings that you get doing bottom work but more protective shoes are such a pain to deal with taking off and putting on. Let alone the dealing with them while standing on the side deck of the boat eight feet above the ground. It is a bit precarious standing on one foot while removing or putting on your sandels knowing that if you lose your balance you will fall eight feet to the ground below. The sandels were always wet the next morning as they got rinsed in the overnight rain. Of course this necessitated having to clean the side deck every other day to remove the dirt washed off of the sandels. Once off the boat in the morning the first order of business was to put our tools under the boat, or a power catamaran next door, in an attempt to keep them dry during the everyday rain squall visits. After the first couple of squalls we had scouted out the high spots under the boats so we were able to keep our stuff dry. Also, with the tools Pam had brought down our supply of Gatorade and water so that we could stay hydrated without having to climb aboard. When we broke for lunch we generally ate in in the cockpit, outside, avoiding the risk of contaminating the inside of the boat. While wearing our coveralls was hot in the 90 degree temps and 90% humidity they really helped us keep the dirt out of the boat. Generally at lunch we removed our coveralls and left them down below under the boat. After lunch we brought another hydration supply down with us. We tended to confine our afternoon jobs to those that could be done underneath the boat so that they could still be accomplished even during the more common afternoon rain squalls. At the end of the day we removed our coveralls and put them and many of our tools into plastic garbage bags, once again to keep the dirt from getting onto the boat. After getting our shower bags, from onboard the boat, we went to the boat yard's shower facility to take our, cold, showers. After the initial shock, the cold shower water gave us a relief from the heat of the day. Then it was off to eat dinner. Three times during our ten day stay at the boat yard we ate dinner at "de Big Fish" a bar/restaurant just outside the boat yard. The rest of the times we ate aboard but ate down below to avoid mosquito attacks. In the evenings we generally listened to radio broadcasts from the States on our iPad using a WiFi connection. Most of the time we listened to afternoon drive time radio shows that I listened to when I worked in the Boston area. It was amazing to hear how many things had not changed in the roughly 12 years that it has been since we lived in that area. Then it was off to bed resting up for the physical demands of the next day. Sleeping was made tolerable by the fact that the boat yard had positioned us so that our bow was pointing east. Since our hatches open towards the bow this allowed us to get a bit of a breeze from the prevailing easterlies. I don't know if the boat yard positioned us this way on purpose, but we are thankful that they did so. So, that it a thumbnail sketch of our work day which generally ran from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm with about 45 minutes for lunch. All ten days were filled with strenuous manual labor that left us exhausted. At times, I admit, I wondered how we were going to complete our tasks. But some how we persevered taking each task and each day one at a time trying to make some progress each day. The satisfaction of looking our finished product before she was launched made it all worth effort. Or at least made us forget the ache in our muscles for a moment. Hopefully this effort has given us another twelve months before we will likely begin this ordeal a new.
Comments
Vessel Name: Foggy Mountain
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 40, Hull# 255
Hailing Port: Boston, Ma
Crew: Jeff & Pam Nelson
About:
We grew up in Jamestown, NY and met during our high school years. After Jeff returned from naval service, during the Vietnam era, we got married in 1974. As best friends we have always gravitated towards activities that we could do together. [...]
Extra:
We are self-taught sailors taking our first sail aboard a Sunfish on a lake in Maine. We bought our first boat in 1975 and since then have owned seven boats culminating with our current vessel "Foggy Mountain". Each vessel was larger enabling us to expand our horizons. We learned how to cruise [...]

Our Background

Who: Jeff & Pam Nelson
Port: Boston, Ma