Storms and Thunderball Cave
05 February 2010 | Staniel Cay, Exumas
With another storm approaching we had to leave Big Major Spot because it was exposed to the west wind. We pulled anchor in the morning and motored a couple of miles through a narrow cut into the reef to a small somewhat protected area next to Staniel Cay. This is where they filmed the James Bond movie "Thunderball". You may remember the cave in the movie. We are anchored behind the very small Cay where the cave is located. We were the third boat anchored in this tight area but we were sure more would follow during the day. We made sure our anchor was secured and motored the dinghy over to the Thunderball cave entrance. We found a small dinghy mooring just outside the opening. The opening is underwater so you have to dive down and swim hard and make sure you come up inside the cave. Wow... what a beautiful cave... Nancy & I were alone in the cave except for 100s of tropical fish. They were all very interested in us because people usually bring bread to feed the fish (we will have to come back with food next time). The cave is large inside with a small hole at the top (35' ceiling), which lets in sunlight. I have to say this was so much fun and exciting with all the fish & coral. We explored the cave and found another entrance on the other side that you had to dive deeper to exit. Now we want to get a copy of Thunderball and watch the movie again.
Well, the storm did come as predicted. It blew 30 knots with very heavy rain. We were bouncing around some, but our anchor held because most of the blown when over us because of Thunderball Cay. The next day after the wind blew all night was Super Bowl Sunday. The small bar & restaurant was having a Super Bowl party. Some friends we met in Bimini (two young British guys who bought there boat in Florida) showed up during the day so we all hopped into our dinghy and headed over to watch the Super Bowl. Last year we watched the Super Bowl in El Salvador we another group of good friends. The game was great even if the electrical power at the bar (and island) kept going off.
The weather looked like we had about 24 hours before another storm hit so we decided to sail to Farmers Cay, which had some protection from the west. We pulled anchor and carefully left the shallow reef and headed out.