The Adventure Begins

22 May 2011 | Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
20 May 2011 | Chacala Bay, Mexico
19 May 2011 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
14 May 2011 | Ipala Bay, Mexico
13 May 2011 | Chamela Bay, Mexico
12 May 2011 | Tenacatita Bay, Mexico
11 May 2011 | Manzanillo, Mexico
06 May 2011 | Caleta de Campos, Mexico
05 May 2011 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
25 April 2011 | Mexico
20 April 2011 | Mexico
16 April 2011 | Guatemala
13 April 2011 | Nicaragua
09 April 2011 | Nicaragua
02 April 2011 | Costa Rica
01 April 2011 | Costa Rica
30 March 2011 | Costa Rica
29 March 2011 | Costa Rica
28 March 2011 | Costa Rica
23 March 2011 | Costa Rica

Where is the Internet?

26 March 2010 | Salinas, PR
Brian
Where is the internet? It seems strange that it is very hard to find good internet in Puerto Rico. We don't miss TV at all, but we really like having internet from the boat. It seems everywhere we go in PR there is no wireless available. We find this surprising after getting internet most of the way down the Pacific coast. We heard so many good things about Salinas that we were sure we would be able to get internet access. Not even the marina here has internet. The only place is a small dark bar where you can set up and get internet but you must buy food and drink. Enough said about internet, but we needed to keep in touch.
We are still having some problems with our batteries...I have gone through the electrical system over and over and have come up with the only solution is to replace four deep cell batteries. These batteries sat in Florida while we waited out hurricane season. I did charge and cycle them but maybe somehow they were damaged. Even after a full charge and a short time after I couldn't start the engine. At first I suspected that something in the system was drawing power that we didn't know about. But after checking all the wiring at least twice the last resort is to buy new batteries. Puerto Rico turned out to be to be a good place to get new ones... they even delivered to the boat. This solved most of the problem but I decided to add another hard cranking battery (along with the deep cell) for engine starting. This solution solved our engine starting problems but not without spending some money we didn't plan for...
With our power problems solved we decided to motor/sail for the Spanish Virgin Islands. This is a group of island east of Puerto Rico that they own. There are small towns, which mostly catered to tourists, and many people say they are the best part of Puerto Rico. It is a full days motor/sail into the wind from Salinas so we plan to leave in the afternoon and travel through the night. We threaded our way through the reefs to the open ocean. The wind was pretty calm and we were making good time. As the sun rose we rounded the eastern end of Puerto Rico and the wind and current was wrapping around in our favor. We anchored between two huge rocks just offshore the small tourist town of Esperanza on the island of Viegues, Spanish Virgins.
Comments
Vessel Name: Four Points
Vessel Make/Model: C&C Landfall 43
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Brian & Nancy McCluskey
About:
Nancy & I have been planning to go sailing for years. We are not ready to retire but decided to take this trip before we get to old. Sailing takes a lot of energy and commitment so we didn�t want to wait until we can�t physically handle the trip. [...]

Who: Brian & Nancy McCluskey
Port: San Diego