The Adventure Begins

22 May 2011 | Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
20 May 2011 | Chacala Bay, Mexico
19 May 2011 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
14 May 2011 | Ipala Bay, Mexico
13 May 2011 | Chamela Bay, Mexico
12 May 2011 | Tenacatita Bay, Mexico
11 May 2011 | Manzanillo, Mexico
06 May 2011 | Caleta de Campos, Mexico
05 May 2011 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
25 April 2011 | Mexico
20 April 2011 | Mexico
16 April 2011 | Guatemala
13 April 2011 | Nicaragua
09 April 2011 | Nicaragua
02 April 2011 | Costa Rica
01 April 2011 | Costa Rica
30 March 2011 | Costa Rica
29 March 2011 | Costa Rica
28 March 2011 | Costa Rica
23 March 2011 | Costa Rica

Esperanza!

01 April 2010 | Vieques, Spanish Virgins
Nancy
After refueling, provisioning, filling our water tanks, and fixing our battery problems, we were more than ready to leave PR. Because of the distance and the winds notoriously being on our nose, we left Salinas in the late afternoon to make the crossing at night. Following the suggestions in the cruising guide The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South we plan to use the island's night lee and be at our destination before the strong trade winds begin the next morning. The picture of Brian climbing the mast was to unwind our main halyard that had twisted around the shroud somehow (??) but since he was up there he thought he might as well see if he can find internet! Ha! That's another whole story about trying to put up mainsail up in the wee morning hours at the beginning of our last passage (all before sunrise...so yes it was very dark) and the sail kept getting hung up and would only go so far....
We had three choices for our next destination, Culebra Island (north), Green Beach, Vieques (west coast of Vieques) or Esperanza, Vieques (south coast) it depended on the wind/swell, once we got "out there" to see which way we could get the best point of sail for Four Points. Since there was a bit of a north swell, and the prevailing wind (east) had more of a northerly blow to it we decided to have the wind push us to Esperanza. The anchorage would also give us protection from the north swell, giving us less roll!
Well, we explored the small quaint town of Esperanza once we were sat on the anchor and the boat was secured in its new neighborhood. Esperanza is mainly a fishing village. The town has one main road (dirt) that runs along the waterfront; laced with restaurants, shops, dive centers and small hotels. We also found internet in a small museum, so I could catch up on my school work but not enough time to post on blog! Our stay in Esperanza was short for we got up early the next morning to head to the US Virgins.
Comments
Vessel Name: Four Points
Vessel Make/Model: C&C Landfall 43
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Brian & Nancy McCluskey
About:
Nancy & I have been planning to go sailing for years. We are not ready to retire but decided to take this trip before we get to old. Sailing takes a lot of energy and commitment so we didn�t want to wait until we can�t physically handle the trip. [...]

Who: Brian & Nancy McCluskey
Port: San Diego