The Adventure Begins

22 May 2011 | Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
20 May 2011 | Chacala Bay, Mexico
19 May 2011 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
14 May 2011 | Ipala Bay, Mexico
13 May 2011 | Chamela Bay, Mexico
12 May 2011 | Tenacatita Bay, Mexico
11 May 2011 | Manzanillo, Mexico
06 May 2011 | Caleta de Campos, Mexico
05 May 2011 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
25 April 2011 | Mexico
20 April 2011 | Mexico
16 April 2011 | Guatemala
13 April 2011 | Nicaragua
09 April 2011 | Nicaragua
02 April 2011 | Costa Rica
01 April 2011 | Costa Rica
30 March 2011 | Costa Rica
29 March 2011 | Costa Rica
28 March 2011 | Costa Rica
23 March 2011 | Costa Rica

Another Anchorage

27 February 2009 | Samara, Costa Rica
Nancy
We batten down the hatches the next morning and headed down the coast to Samara. The predicted wind forecast was for 25 knots of wind, so we decided to start out with a double reef in the main sail. From past sailing experiences we knew that the grib files usually predicts wind speed slower than it says. This area is still influenced by the papagayo winds and the last few days at Tamarindo we were getting strong NE winds that seemed to sustain throughout the day at times gusting up to 35 knots. Winds are good for sailing but not so good for anchoring or dinghy landings! As we headed south, right out of the gate, we had a pretty good blow, gusting up to 35 knots, which made us very glad that we had a double reef in the main sail. Four Points is amazing, she seems to sail well with a double reef in with that amount of wind. Even with the stronger wind we could only sail at about 4.0-5.0 knots because we had an adverse current (we figured it was about 1.5- 2.0 knots against us). Most of the guidebooks mention that this stretch of coastline does have a strong south current. Looking out at the water it almost appears that there is confused seas or heavy wind on the surface of the water, especially as we rounded Punta Guiones. By the time we made it around Punta Guiones, the wind died down so we had to motor sail. One of the first things we noticed was that the area seemed to be more tropical and definitely hotter! During this passage, we got to see a lot of the sea turtles floating by and many more manta rays. Manta rays are easy to spot because they seem to enjoy doing flips (almost like belly flops) out of the water multiple times. We were told that they do this to clean themselves of parasites?? We think that they are just having fun! I saw a group of three flip in row all at the same time, either they were having a group cleaning or maybe they were competing!
We arrived the Samara before sunset and after securing the anchor we jumped in to cool off, well sorta, the temperature of the water was also tropical, much warmer than it was in Tamarindo. From the boat, Samara appears to have a small village/town, fishing pangas and a long stretch of vacant beach. We decided that we would only stay long enough to get some rest and leave at first light.


Comments
Vessel Name: Four Points
Vessel Make/Model: C&C Landfall 43
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Brian & Nancy McCluskey
About:
Nancy & I have been planning to go sailing for years. We are not ready to retire but decided to take this trip before we get to old. Sailing takes a lot of energy and commitment so we didn�t want to wait until we can�t physically handle the trip. [...]

Who: Brian & Nancy McCluskey
Port: San Diego