Freebird Atlantic

Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: X-Yachts - XC 50
Crew: William and Sarah Maltby, Henry Faire, James Axtell
09 March 2019 | Southern Grenada
05 March 2019 | Grenada
05 March 2019 | Antigua and Grenada
29 January 2019 | Barbuda
29 January 2019 | Barbuda
29 January 2019 | Nonsuch Bay, Antigua
29 January 2019 | Falmouth Harbour
29 January 2019 | English Harbour, Antigua
29 January 2019 | Antigua Yacht Club
29 January 2019 | Antigua
19 January 2019 | Catherine’s noisy bar, Pigeon Bay
18 January 2019
17 January 2019
16 January 2019
15 January 2019
14 January 2019
13 January 2019
12 January 2019
11 January 2019
10 January 2019
Recent Blog Posts
09 March 2019 | Southern Grenada

Gone native

Freebird is now safely out of the water and has been left in a yard where a steel frame will be built around her to protect from a hurricane (which we hope is unlikely).

05 March 2019 | Grenada

How to acquire a new burgee stick

Grenada is a stunning island, much of it a tropical rain forest with exotic flowers, lush foliage, colossal bamboos, and many of the spices growing in abundance (nutmeg, cinnamon, ...) hence it’s name The Spice Island.

05 March 2019 | Antigua and Grenada

Cricket mania

I will now confess to the real purpose of the Skipper plotting to cross the Atlantic, and imposing the high seas on his wife... test matches in the West Indies. Since last posting a blog, we have been following England cricket team on their tour of the West Indies, with mixed success but fun all the [...]

29 January 2019 | Barbuda

Barbuda

The contrast between the devastation from Hurricane Irma and the miles of pinky white deserted beaches is staggering

29 January 2019 | Barbuda

Barbuda

The wind continued but we decided to head north to Barbuda which is reputed to have the best beaches in the Caribbean. After quite a lumpy sail we arrived in paradise, having taken care to avoid all the reefs. The beaches are completely exquisite, just miles and miles of pinky white sand, with not [...]

29 January 2019 | Nonsuch Bay, Antigua

On our own in Nonsuch Bay

Rowers Rowers Everywhere

10 January 2019
  Sarah
They are like London buses and as difficult to wave down. Twice in the middle of the night we have encountered the Talisker Rowers nearby.  Late last night it was The Wolf, and just now before sunrise we can see Men of Oar on the AIS about 4 miles away.  Both boats are travelling at 2.3 knots, so they must be rowing, and we guess they could see our masthead light. On each occasion we have tried to contact them on the VHF, and send them a DSC message,  but no response.  We even left our VHF on so they could contact us.  The dilemma is that they are so small that they only appear on the AIS when a few miles away and they always seem to be downwind from us. To sail up to them would involve jibing which in the night with a cat's cradle of knitting is not easy, and would involve rousing all our sleeping crew. Even if we could sail up to them, in the pitch dark and in a big sea we would have to be careful not to get too close, so shouting across the high seas is not that productive.  However we have wanted to make contact with each of them to check they are OK and give them encouragement during this unbelievably gruesome challenge they have undertaken.

We have not seen a single ship, even on the AIS, since leaving the Canaries, with the exception of Watermusic 5 days ago and now 4 rowers.  So they also won't have seen anything for weeks either since they left on 10th December.  I am sure a friendly voice on the VHF nearby must be a huge boost.  We noted that Kraken, who we saw 2 days ago, was travelling at 0.9 knots, and we assume he must have been drifting while taking a rest as he is a solo rower.

After 2 days of light wind, we were relieved that the wind picked up to F4 and we are having a rollicking good sail, goose-winged. It is more rolly this morning, with a swell of 3 metres.

There was huge excitement yesterday. We caught 2 more Mahi Mahi, one landed by me, and the second by William - firsts for both of us.  Annoyingly his was larger than mine, but actually I was quite relieved.  It is hard work reeling in a large fish when travelling at 6-7 knots through the water.  I am trying to think of different ways to cook Mahi Mahi... baked, in a curry, fish stew, fish pie.. The crew are not complaining as they know the alternative is pheasant casserole. We are hoping our next catch might be tuna for some sashimi.

Henry has been occupied with his sextant, and was feeling very smug yesterday as he calculated that we were within half a mile of his calculation, having taken a fix on Venus.  What a triumph, as his first attempt was a not v reassuring 300 miles out.  He has a wonderfully precise contraption to measure the angle between various stars and the horizon (Heath Robinson eat your heart out).  He then pores over pages of tables and makes endless complicated calculations which seem gobbledigoo to me, but it keeps him quiet and very happy.  More importantly it leaves us in awe of mariners who relied entirely on this method, and it humbles us to realise just how relatively easy navigation is nowadays.

The skipper committed the ultimate crime yesterday at lunch.  He was sitting on the upwind side.  He tossed out some cheese rind, took careful aim for the sea and missed.  The cheese landed inside the boom, never to be retrieved.  Oops.  We were so glad it was none of the rest of us, as we would have been keel hauled.  Not sure what the punishment is for the skipper.  All ideas welcome.
Comments
Freebird's Photos - Main
6 Photos
Created 29 December 2018
2 Photos
Created 23 November 2018
2 Photos
Created 20 November 2018

About & Links