Freebird Atlantic

Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: X-Yachts - XC 50
Crew: William and Sarah Maltby, Henry Faire, James Axtell
09 March 2019 | Southern Grenada
05 March 2019 | Grenada
05 March 2019 | Antigua and Grenada
29 January 2019 | Barbuda
29 January 2019 | Barbuda
29 January 2019 | Nonsuch Bay, Antigua
29 January 2019 | Falmouth Harbour
29 January 2019 | English Harbour, Antigua
29 January 2019 | Antigua Yacht Club
29 January 2019 | Antigua
19 January 2019 | Catherine’s noisy bar, Pigeon Bay
18 January 2019
17 January 2019
16 January 2019
15 January 2019
14 January 2019
13 January 2019
12 January 2019
11 January 2019
10 January 2019
Recent Blog Posts
09 March 2019 | Southern Grenada

Gone native

Freebird is now safely out of the water and has been left in a yard where a steel frame will be built around her to protect from a hurricane (which we hope is unlikely).

05 March 2019 | Grenada

How to acquire a new burgee stick

Grenada is a stunning island, much of it a tropical rain forest with exotic flowers, lush foliage, colossal bamboos, and many of the spices growing in abundance (nutmeg, cinnamon, ...) hence it’s name The Spice Island.

05 March 2019 | Antigua and Grenada

Cricket mania

I will now confess to the real purpose of the Skipper plotting to cross the Atlantic, and imposing the high seas on his wife... test matches in the West Indies. Since last posting a blog, we have been following England cricket team on their tour of the West Indies, with mixed success but fun all the [...]

29 January 2019 | Barbuda

Barbuda

The contrast between the devastation from Hurricane Irma and the miles of pinky white deserted beaches is staggering

29 January 2019 | Barbuda

Barbuda

The wind continued but we decided to head north to Barbuda which is reputed to have the best beaches in the Caribbean. After quite a lumpy sail we arrived in paradise, having taken care to avoid all the reefs. The beaches are completely exquisite, just miles and miles of pinky white sand, with not [...]

29 January 2019 | Nonsuch Bay, Antigua

On our own in Nonsuch Bay

Pink and fluffy

16 January 2019
  Sarah
No.  Not my boudoir.  The panorama last night in the sky was just incredible.  As we were eating supper there was a fabulous sunset.  The entire sky, 360 degrees around, was a continuous mound of cotton wool clouds, all tall and fluffy, and as the sun was setting, each one was a glorious pink, with an even brighter pink background.  What was so astonishing was the fact that this wonderful spectacle continued all the way round.  To the east (where the sun has not set!) the clouds became a grey/blue puffball with a dark pink background. It was magical.

We were enjoying a gastronomic dinner, of which I was quite proud, given we are now hopefully on the penultimate day of the crossing. We had crudites of mini toasts with philadelphia cheese topped with anchovies, or caviar (!), then pigeon breasts, all pink and succulent, on a bed of spinach and with ratatouille, made with the frozen artichokes I found lurking at the bottom of the freezer.  Then a little creme caramel to finish.  The dolphins came to join us,  just to round off a perfect evening.

We have had a lively night as we kept the spinnaker up all night. As the wind picked up at about midnight, we took off.  I think Freebird wants to get there.  She has been flying at between 8 and 9 knots for most of the night.  It is not conducive to sleep as we creak, lurch and roll, and I feel I have spent the night in a fairground as it is a lot more bouncy at the front of the boat where I sleep.  I am not complaining though. It is what we have been hoping for.

We really are now nearly there.  We have 270 miles to go, and hope to arrive during Thursday night.  That is if we can sail in the right direction.  Even with the spinnaker alone, we cannot sail dead downwind, which is due east and exactly where we want to go.  The optimum angle is 160 degrees off the wind, rather than 180, so currently we are heading too far south, towards Barbados rather than Antigua. (I think William is  launching a cunning plot to see the 1st test match there next week).  As soon as everyone is awake we will have to jibe the spinnaker again.  In fact we may have to furl it altogether as the wind is blowing force 5 now and it is getting very lively indeed!

As we near our destination, I thought I would tell you about our rubbish.  We feel proud that we have only filled one black sack (or wheelie bin as William calls them).  Not bad for 2.5 weeks. We have had a strict regime, with 2 bins, one for plastics, and the other using biodegradable bags for paper and food waste, which we can safely throw overboard with a clean conscience.  We have managed to minimise plastic by the use of a soda stream which makes fizzy water, lemonade and most importantly tonic water for the essential cocktail hour.  So no plastic bottles at all.  We have been drinking the water we make with the water maker, keeping it cold in the fridge and sometimes diluting it with a squash or squeezed lemon.

Although we long to arrive, we shall all be very sad when this adventure ends.
Comments
Freebird's Photos - Main
6 Photos
Created 29 December 2018
2 Photos
Created 23 November 2018
2 Photos
Created 20 November 2018

About & Links