Sailing on Frekado

Contest 48Cs

North Atlantic Passage / Arrival in the Faroes

We departed Loch Laxford at 12:40 and headed out into the Minch and was greeted with the expected 20-24kts of wind but gusting to 28 to Kts. The wind was coming from the SW, so with 2 reefs in the Genoa and a reef in the main, we set off. The sea state in the Minch had reduced from the previous night to around 1.5m. We cruised at an exciting but comfortable 9 kts. The swell built to 2.5m as we get North of the Mainland, with the wind now from the WSW. We went down below as there was quite cold and there was a bit of water coming over the decks with the odd larger wave. The Yacht and the Autopilot handled everything well. I however, was struggling with my ribs and unable to find a comfortable position to sit or to move around the boat without it hurting, this in turn helped fuel an unusual bout of sea sickness. Frekado looked after us and Finlay and I settled into watchkeeping, which we reduced to a quick check from the saloon every half an hour as the AIS and radar alarms were on and there was next no marine traffic out.
We counted out the hours and managed the sails to handle the wind slowly moving around from the WSW to the NE as we approached Vagar on Suduroy. As it moved round, it dropped, requiring the engine for the last 8 hours to keep our average speed up.
Some good news - Glimpsed the sun for the first time since we arrived at the boat in Ullapool as were neared there Suduroy Coast. This was short lived though, after arriving in Vagur a cold mist defended.
We couldn't reach the harbour master via VHF but he was waiting for there for us when we arrived as the was another yacht just arriving (It turned out this was the one we heard announcing their departure to Stornoway coastguard as we left Loch Laxford). We moored up against a standard fishing berth, big tyres and all and filled out our passport details. The other yacht and I think that is us checked as the harbour master just shrugged his shoulders and waved the paper we had just filled in, when asked if Customs and immigration would come and see us. We took that as meaning we had checked in and lowered the Q flag and up went the courtesy flag.
Finlay and I then had a large welcome dinner, then headed out for a walk for a quick look at the small, unusual but pretty town.
Not sure what tomorrow will bring but likely a day in harbour as there is a blow forecasted to come through.

Comments