Sailing on Frekado

Contest 48Cs

A tour by Car

We woke to another wet and foggy morning. There was also no wind, so not the best conditions to head out for a trip on the boat. We opted to hire a car for a day and a half and go and see some of the sights. The car hire office was a short walk from the harbour and the whole process was very relaxed. With the paperwork done we set off, firstly to experience the newest subsea tunnel in the Faroes, boasting the worlds only subsea roundabout, the Eystroyartunnilin. We entered the tunnel at Hivitanes and 8km later reached the colourful subsea roundabout and took the turning to exit at Runavik, then proceeded to head north along the atmospheric mountain lined Fjord. As we travelled North the Scenery became more dramatic and this continued past Funningsfyorder. At the village of Funnings, we started to climb on a zig zag road up the mountain. Although recognised as an iconic place to photograph, the low cloud and mist, resulted in very little visibility. The drive was enjoyable but slow on the single track road. We continued over the mountain pass until we came to the very attractive small village of Gjogv with it's dramatic and narrow natural harbour. This gave us a good opportunity to stretch our legs and walk around the craggy shore line and through the village. There was a significant amount of puffins on the steep slopes by the cliffside of the village so we walked up there and stood to watch the puffins for a while.
Heading back to the Car and leaving the village we continued our trip along narrow roads to Eidi and with the cloud levels rising we managed to stop and take in some of the dramatic Seaviews on the the way.
Heading south, we crossed the bridge at Oyrarbakki, which spans the narrow gap between the islands of Eysturoy and Streymoy, which was the primary way of crossing the two islands prior to the Eysturoyartunnin was built.
Heading North again on Stretmoy, we stopped at the impressive twin basin Fossa waterfall. We continued over another mountain pass the the Northern most village of Streymoy, Tjornuvik. With only 55 house and a surf shop it was a stunning place to drive into and walk around, with grass roofed houses, surf shop and black sandy beach, with the views over to the high cliffs and interesting sea stacks on the North Coast. Isolated in it's own bay it felt exposed but very secure.
Heading off again and backtracking over the high coastal road, heading south, to cross under the Atlantic, once gain to reach the Island of Vagur. We headed past the International Airport and continued up to the North Coast to the even smaller Village of Gasadulur, driving through the single track tunnel, which was only opened in 2006. The village, being surrounded by high mountains, prior to the tunnel opening, could only be reached by a difficult boat trip or a track over a 400m high mountain. We spent some time enjoying the surreal spot and walking to and overlooking the impressive Mulafossur Waterfall, falling into the sea. Again enjoying the antics of the high number of puffins on the banks above the cliffs.
For the last experience of the day we headed back past the airport and after some careful navigation found the car park and paid the Kr200 fee each!! to take the 2 hour walk along the lake sorvagsvatn, to the cliffs and sea views. When on the view point there is a well photographed optical illusion where the lake seems to hang high over the lake. Although I was sceptical that this would not appreciated in real life, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was as good as advertised. It was excellent to get out to stretch my legs for that length of time as it was the longest bit of exercise I've had since hurting my ribs.
With the evening arriving, we headed back to the boat for a hearty dinner and a restful nights sleep.

Comments