So close to Mackinac Island!
26 July 2012
Photo: The three of us at Presque Isle
For those of us that took the all day weather seminar this past April, we're taking advantage of all the different weather scenarios on this trip to rewrite weather definitions, for instance: If you see the following from the National Weather Service and/or NOAA...
Light and variable with a potential for rain in the mid afternoon. They really mean hold onto your hats because it'll be blowing like stink and you'll get rain mid morning. I guess in fairness to them it was mid afternoon somewhere in the world....but really light and variable??
We actually had a pretty nice sail from Presque Isle to Cheboygan. We motor sailed part way, then sailed, then rolled everything up in anticipation of the storms...then under Genny alone...7.5-8 kts. Good thing we got underway early (7) because just after we docked the rain turned into a downpour. Still not too bad - just under 7 hours.
So now it's just 'Richard Sharp' and 'French Connection'. 'Island Sol' headed up to Drummond Island to meet up with their friends staying on the Island. There is a possibility we may meet up with them as they're doing the same stops in the North Channel and down the east side of Lake Huron. We had a great time with them and look forward to that rendezvous.
For those wondering, Paul and Geri are doing well and really broadening their sailing experiences - we're having a great time with them as well.
Tomorrow is the much anticipated trek to Mackinac Island. Predictably the marina is booked solid for the foreseeable future...well maybe some openings mid September, so we have reservations at St Ignace. The ferry to Mackinac is next door to the marina so we're good to go!