Log of sv 'French Connection'

15 August 2012
11 August 2012 | Sarnia
10 August 2012
08 August 2012
07 August 2012 | Pt Elgin
03 August 2012
31 July 2012 | Beardrop
30 July 2012
24 July 2012 | Presque Isle, Michigan
22 July 2012 | Harrisville
21 July 2012 | Harbor Beach
21 July 2012 | Sarnia, Ontario
19 July 2012 | Sarnia, Ontario
16 July 2012 | Harsens Island, Michigan
16 July 2012 | Middle Bass & Grosse Isle
28 June 2012 | Catawba Island
31 July 2009 | Catawba Island

What a night!

08 July 2009 | Presque Isle
Another full moon to help with the navigation, although there wasn't much to see. We are west of the primary shipping channels and only spot a freighter after the AIS alarm goes off. Most of the freighters were 8-10 miles from us so no need to worry about collisions. At one point we had as many as 6 targets on AIS/Radar - not sure how the 'old timers' avoided this kind of traffic. One of the targets was interesting as it was a derelict ship, abandoned and stationary but still floating and transmitting AIS information. The information broadcast said it's been abandoned for a year - very interesting since it was in about 250 feet of water. Hopefully one our crew remembers the name of the ship so that we can find out more info. NOAA promished higher winds and waves and we certainly got them tonight. Fortunately the dodger glass was in so we didn't have to worry about getting wet and everyone was comfortable in the cockpit. It is colder than the previous night and someone got the great idea of using the sleeping bags as covers to keep comfortable. A great idea!

As daylight broke we had rounded Thunder Bay and were on the last leg of our journey, this part of the waterscape is littered with fishing nets and the plan was to sail several miles off shore to avoid any entanglements. We were able to spot most of them inshore, eagle eye Ken did spot a couple that stretched across our course and we were able to avoid them in time. We pulled into Presque Isle tired and cold but with the satisfaction of having transited a tough course. Hot showers, warm meals and quick naps later, we are ready to go separate ways. Kat has arrived by car (fully loaded of course - where are we going to put this stuff??) with Vixen our 10 month old Cairn Terrier (on her first sail). Now it's time to regroup, do any maintenance and await the two other boats meeting us.

Oh did I mention maintenance? The cork worked too well. One of the reasons for the drain is to evacuate any water that trickles in from the cockpit or backwashes from the stern. When Mark opened up the wet locker it was full of water not to mention the water that had seeped into the engine compartment. More bailing and drying before I can fix with the 5200. Since I was working in the cockpit, I also decided to empty the 2 extra jerry cans of diesel into the fuel tank. As they say 'things happen' - so they did this time as well. The fuel filler cap which is attached to the filler tube by chain got somehow relieved and into the water it goes. As the guys will testify, the water here is crystal clear, the bottom is about 20 feet deep and as clear as a bathtub but the cap is nowhere to be seen. So off I go to acquire a net on a long handle to dredge the bottom.......
Comments
Vessel Name: French Connection
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Catawba Island, Ohio
Crew: Tony & Kat
About:
We started sailing 27 years ago on a 17' boat in Chicago. Once we found out small boats and big lakes don't mix we quickly upgraded to a 30' then progressed through 34, 38 and our most recent acquisition is a 42. [...]

Who: Tony & Kat
Port: Catawba Island, Ohio
NAVIGATION HELP Note the links on right sidebar, you'll see a photo gallery. Click on it and you'll see photos from our trips. If you'd like to see a larger image just click on the photo. Also there's a link to our email. Current Position: Click on the map and it'll show FC's current position along with where we've been. At the lower left you'll see a link to Google Earth, free software that will show a satellite photo of the same map. You'll need to download the free Google application first. Also on the side links you'll see Sam and Dan's links plus individual links to all of the blogs we've written up. Cheers Tony & Kat
Send us you comments and links to your site