Sometimes best not to plan
26 July 2009 | Goderich, Ontario
At our 7;30 Captains meeting, we decided to proceed forward on our 6 hr trip to Bayfield. The weather didn't look too threatening, although the winds would be right on the nose building to 10-15, with an early afternoon change to the west. As we left Kincardine, we found the waves to be west southwest and with the wind on the nose. Of course the Michigan Lake Huron forecast said 1-3ft waves, but then you have to add in the 'fetch' created by waves traveling over 50 miles (from Pt Huron) before they hit us. Needless to say we had a very sloppy ride.
Apparently we didn't plan this trip too well, since on the way up the wind and waves were blowing out of the north, on the trip down they are blowing from the south - go figure.
Anyway with a band of thundershowers (again) approaching and after four hours of the lumpy sailing, we decided to tuck into Goderich, where we'll stay until tomorrow morning - then onto Bayfield. As I'm writing this and looking at the satellite weather, another line of thunderstorms just came up from Ann Arbor northeast to Presque Isle. This stuff just doesn't quit.
Had a phone call from Ken last night and got the info on the Dry Creek Vineyards race yesterday. Mark congratulations on your first place finish - I know it's well deserved. I also heard that the word on the street is that Gary's Christmas came early with a number of orders for new sails - hmmm is North Sails a public traded company? Wish we were there to give Gil some competition for his excellent second place finish.
Hope to see everyone soon.