Freya & Us

Vessel Name: Freya of Wight
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanranger
Hailing Port: Portishead
14 September 2022 | South Wales
04 May 2022
02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM
24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM
11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM
07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM
20 March 2022 | Samos - 8,735NM
31 October 2021 | Samos - 8,491 NM
09 November 2020 | Severn Beach, Bristol - 8,735 NM
08 November 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
26 October 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
20 October 2020 | Marathakampos - 20th October 2020 - 8,715NM
09 October 2020 | Limnos - 8,620 NM
30 September 2020 | Patmos - 8,602 NM
25 September 2020 | Evdhilos, Ikaria - 8,552 NM
13 September 2020 | Oinoussa - 8,491 NM
03 December 2019 | Bristol - 8,443 NM
05 November 2019 | Mytilini - 8,443 NM
18 October 2019 | Mytilini, Lesbos - 8,413 NM
11 October 2019 | Molyvos, Lesbos - 8,379 NM
Recent Blog Posts
14 September 2022 | South Wales

Final Story

After 12 years, 8,924 miles, 376 ports of call we officially handed Freya to her new owner last night.

04 May 2022

Interactive Map

By clicking on the link below you can load an interactive map to see our route and explore the places we stopped at.

02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM

The end of another adventure

Time to move on as we needed to drop Ian and Jess off in Kos for their flight home. There wasn't a breath of wind as we motored to Kos harbour which is very atmospheric under the old castle. It all felt very hectic in the town after a few weeks exploring the tiny, peaceful islands. We were treated to [...]

24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM

Stunning Aegean

It was 11 miles to Skala Patmos and an amazing broad reach sail all the way (almost!) - definitely what it's all about. The sea could've been flatter but it was as expected after the high winds. We went side to on the quay with a Finnish boat where it was very flat and peaceful, especially after the [...]

11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM

At last, we’re off!

And finally we were ready to go! The engine started first turn, we let off the lines and left Samos marina. We've loved our extended stay on Samos but we're not sorry to leave the marina which is very is unprofessionally run. We were joined on our first trip for ages by dolphins just outside Pythagorio. [...]

07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM

Very stressful final preparations

The engine was removed very efficiently and with great respect for the boat. It was taken to Zlatco's workshop for further investigation! They returned an hour or so later to clean up - very impressive and the engine bay has never looked so clean and shiny! It was very traumatic watching Freya having [...]

A Sad Interlude

01 May 2015 | Calasetta - 3,924 NM
Sunny & Warm
Teulada was so lovely and peaceful we stayed another day but the wanderlust was calling (and the nearest shop being 8km away too!) and so the next morning we left after breakfast for the 30 odd mile passage to Calasetta on the north of Isla di St. Antioco. Only half a mile from port we were hailed by a military boat who came alongside. Very politely but firmly, they told us (after much pigeon English and Italian) to alter course and stay at least 2 miles offshore around the next two headlands. There was a military exercise today and it was for own safety. As we didn't fancy being shot we did as we were told!

Like our last passage, the sail to Calasetta started in light winds but then contrary to the forecast they increased to 25kts on the nose, but this time in much choppier seas as we are now on the exposed west coast. We beat into the wind for quite a while but were making slow uncomfortable and very wet progress. Five miles from Calasetta we dropped the sails and motored in. Even with the throttle on high, we could barely make 4.5kts because the wind and waves were directly against us. We got soaked. It was a great relief when we finally reached Calasetta and moored up alongside a pontoon. We couldn't get hold of the marina as we approached and so thought we were set for the night, but after a short while a marinero appeared and insisted that we move to the quay opposite. Unfortunately the strong winds were blowing us tight onto the pontoon and getting off wasn't easy to say the least. When we finally moored up on the quay and put the boat to bed it was 7.00pm. It had taken us nearly 10 hours to move 36 miles. A hard day.

Calasetta is a lovely little town with the old part spread around the harbour, lots of narrow streets, a pretty church and a medieval tower with lovely views. We've walked out along the coast in both directions from the town and were rewarded with fantastic views, beautiful beaches and even more flamingos. On our walk South East of the town we came across a number of small farm houses on the beach, and we spent a little while discussing the possibilities of living the pastoral life here when we retire...

We took the bus to the island's capital Sant Antioco on a sunny and windless day. That bit was perfect but nearly all the tourist sites with the exception of one were closed, despite signs saying they were open! We did manage to visit a tophet, the site of a Punic memorial site where stillborn and newborn babies that died in their first few days of life were cremated (so their souls could return to the gods) and their ashes stored in hundreds of earthenware jars in cracks in the rocks. The museum and videos at the tophet did a good job of explaining the history and showing us all the things that were closed. We had an al fresco lunch by the harbour in lovely warm sunshine before returning to Freya.

As many of you will know my father has been ill for some time, and while we were in Calasetta he took a turn for the worse and I booked a flight home. Sadly the night before I was scheduled to fly he passed on. Lorraine stayed on for a few days securing Freya, before flying back to join me and the family for the funeral.

Lorraine had a mostly quiet time on the boat before joining me, doing a few walks, painting and practising her guitar. However her peace was disturbed one night when she was woken by strange noises on deck. There was a man on the back of the boat leaning over the outboard and dinghy. She shouted something "polite" at him, and he immediately run along the boat to the bow and tried to jump onto the quay.....he missed and fell into the water. Lorraine was just debating with herself whether she should rescue this bloke that looked as if he was trying to steal our outboard or leave him to drown when some of his mates appeared and pulled him out of the water. They jumped into a car and drove off. Needless to say Lorraine didn't get any sleep that night. She reported the incident in the morning and the marina staff took it very seriously. They were apologetic and helpful, but they really could do little more than be sympathetic. Lorraine went back to Freya and on closer inspection in daylight could now see a fishing line and lure wrapped around the dinghy. In all likelihood it was no more than a fisherman trying to recover his kit. He shouldn't have been on the boat without permission, but at least it wasn't anything more sinister.

After a couple of weeks in the UK we returned to Freya a couple of days ago and the weather is now settled, sunny and warm. Yesterday we took the ferry to the even smaller island of San Pietro and it's only town, Carloforte. An even prettier harbour town with nice shops and harbour side cafes. We spent a few hours wandering around, looking at flamingos in the salines and a long slow lunch in a pavement cafe.

We then set off down the coast heading to the northernmost point on the island. The road and path soon run out but we continued on along the beach which got narrow and narrower. It was beautiful with the clear blue sea and sweat peas growing wild in the grass. We couldn't turn inland as the shore was fenced off or walled in by the gardens of large shoreside villas. We could either turn back or push on over the narrow rocks. We chose the latter option but finally admitted defeat when a third option presented itself. We went over a tumble down gate and walked through the garden of an empty house to get onto the cliff top and eventually onto a road where we flagged down a passing bus in the middle of nowhere that took us back to Carloforte, where we had just enough time to enjoy an ice-cream before catching the ferry back to Calasetta.

We took a months mooring here when it became clear that we needed to return home. So we will be staying for a few days yet, before we start heading north to Alghero where we hope to meet up with some visitors from home in mid May.

Click here for the interactive map of our travels
Comments

About & Links