Freya & Us

Vessel Name: Freya of Wight
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanranger
Hailing Port: Portishead
14 September 2022 | South Wales
04 May 2022
02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM
24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM
11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM
07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM
20 March 2022 | Samos - 8,735NM
31 October 2021 | Samos - 8,491 NM
09 November 2020 | Severn Beach, Bristol - 8,735 NM
08 November 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
26 October 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
20 October 2020 | Marathakampos - 20th October 2020 - 8,715NM
09 October 2020 | Limnos - 8,620 NM
30 September 2020 | Patmos - 8,602 NM
25 September 2020 | Evdhilos, Ikaria - 8,552 NM
13 September 2020 | Oinoussa - 8,491 NM
03 December 2019 | Bristol - 8,443 NM
05 November 2019 | Mytilini - 8,443 NM
18 October 2019 | Mytilini, Lesbos - 8,413 NM
11 October 2019 | Molyvos, Lesbos - 8,379 NM
Recent Blog Posts
14 September 2022 | South Wales

Final Story

After 12 years, 8,924 miles, 376 ports of call we officially handed Freya to her new owner last night.

04 May 2022

Interactive Map

By clicking on the link below you can load an interactive map to see our route and explore the places we stopped at.

02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM

The end of another adventure

Time to move on as we needed to drop Ian and Jess off in Kos for their flight home. There wasn't a breath of wind as we motored to Kos harbour which is very atmospheric under the old castle. It all felt very hectic in the town after a few weeks exploring the tiny, peaceful islands. We were treated to [...]

24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM

Stunning Aegean

It was 11 miles to Skala Patmos and an amazing broad reach sail all the way (almost!) - definitely what it's all about. The sea could've been flatter but it was as expected after the high winds. We went side to on the quay with a Finnish boat where it was very flat and peaceful, especially after the [...]

11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM

At last, we’re off!

And finally we were ready to go! The engine started first turn, we let off the lines and left Samos marina. We've loved our extended stay on Samos but we're not sorry to leave the marina which is very is unprofessionally run. We were joined on our first trip for ages by dolphins just outside Pythagorio. [...]

07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM

Very stressful final preparations

The engine was removed very efficiently and with great respect for the boat. It was taken to Zlatco's workshop for further investigation! They returned an hour or so later to clean up - very impressive and the engine bay has never looked so clean and shiny! It was very traumatic watching Freya having [...]

Mountain Challange

24 August 2015 | Portoferraio, Elba - 4,471 NM
Hot ,Sunny and Stormy
It was a beautiful bus journey to Portoferraio. Elba is very green compared to other islands and very mountainous with lovely bays. Portoferraio is in one of those beautiful bays and very sheltered with a lovely old town around the port and winding up the hill to the huge citadel. We visited Napoleon's home, Villa dei Mulini during his exile on Elba - a mansion rather than a palace but very nice in a fantastic location - he definitely wasn't slumming it!

Our sheltered bay in Marina di Campo and the weather forecast let us down with the swell giving us 2 very uncomfortable nights and so we had to move on. The only place offering all round shelter is Portoferraio and so here we are. It's a lovely place to anchor with old town views one way and mountains the other and we have the added entertainment of the yachts pouring in each night to anchor and the ferries trying to avoid them!

We took the bus to Porto Azzurro which was another very pretty bay and village. We had a lovely day wandering around the shops, having lunch and then walking along the coast to a beautiful, tiny inlet for a swim. When we got back to the dinghy we discovered we'd left the air screw on the fuel cap undone and most of the petrol had evaporated. We got half way back to Freya and then had a long paddle - luckily it was a calm evening!

Oops, another adventure! We took the bus to a small town high in the mountains - beautiful bus ride. From there we took a cable car - well, more of a cage/laundry basket really (Silvana, Mum just like the ones in Gubbio!) to the top of the mountain where there were absolutely amazing views of the whole of Elba and to the mainland, stunning. From there, there were walking trails back down which was our plan. After taking in the view we looked for the trail but all we could see were rocks, but after a while we spotted the red and white trail marker some way below us on the rocks. It definitely wasn't a path but we assumed a scramble down the rocks on our bottoms would take us to it! Once there we were still in the same situation with another marker some way off and more rock climbing and so off we went again - and soon there was no going back without ropes! We were climbing/scrambling for over an hour, sometimes along ridges with shear drops each side. At one point we realised we hadn't seen a trail marker for some time and that it was impossible to go on in the same direction but when we turned round and it appeared equally impossible to go back up - but we had no choice. We were on a smooth, steep rock with very few handholds and not much grip - very scared! Back on the 'trail' and the next marker was above us on top of some rocks - more climbing with a huge drop below us. Once at the top we thought 'there's no way down without ropes!' But then realised they'd very kindly installed wire cables to help us down - phew! We were exhausted with a 10 mile walk to do and in looking for the next part of the trail we found a sign saying 'very difficult, expert only' - pity they hadn't put that at the beginning! The next part was down through a pine forest which was straightforward (apart from the occasional scramble over rock slides), shaded and with lovely views through the trees. An hour or so later we came to a car park with picnic tables and so stopped for lunch and thought we're back in civilisation now and so it should all be easy now. We set off again but soon found ourselves in dense forest that clearly wasn't a regularly used path and machetes would've been useful. The paths were very steep and had been washed away and had gullies through them and slippery lose stones. It was horrible and took us a couple of hours to scramble and slide down being scratched and bitten on the way. We eventually reached the road and miraculously were opposite the bus stop! Fantastic views and it's good to challenge yourself occasionally! (Note to self - look up definition of footpath in Italian!)

The next day we spent on the boat nursing our bruises, bites, scratches and aches!

Last night we were forecast 25 knot winds which are a bit worrying when you're at anchor. We let more chain out and took the Bimini (sun shade) down and waited. We didn't get much sleep and saw 35 knot winds. We heard several anchors pulled up and reset and a few horns as, we assume, other boats tried to get someone's attention who was slipping but our new anchor held firm. More wind and rain forecast for today and so I think it might be another lazy boat day.......

Click here for the interactive map of our travels
Comments

About & Links