Freya & Us

Vessel Name: Freya of Wight
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanranger
Hailing Port: Portishead
14 September 2022 | South Wales
04 May 2022
02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM
24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM
11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM
07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM
20 March 2022 | Samos - 8,735NM
31 October 2021 | Samos - 8,491 NM
09 November 2020 | Severn Beach, Bristol - 8,735 NM
08 November 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
26 October 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
20 October 2020 | Marathakampos - 20th October 2020 - 8,715NM
09 October 2020 | Limnos - 8,620 NM
30 September 2020 | Patmos - 8,602 NM
25 September 2020 | Evdhilos, Ikaria - 8,552 NM
13 September 2020 | Oinoussa - 8,491 NM
03 December 2019 | Bristol - 8,443 NM
05 November 2019 | Mytilini - 8,443 NM
18 October 2019 | Mytilini, Lesbos - 8,413 NM
11 October 2019 | Molyvos, Lesbos - 8,379 NM
Recent Blog Posts
14 September 2022 | South Wales

Final Story

After 12 years, 8,924 miles, 376 ports of call we officially handed Freya to her new owner last night.

04 May 2022

Interactive Map

By clicking on the link below you can load an interactive map to see our route and explore the places we stopped at.

02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM

The end of another adventure

Time to move on as we needed to drop Ian and Jess off in Kos for their flight home. There wasn't a breath of wind as we motored to Kos harbour which is very atmospheric under the old castle. It all felt very hectic in the town after a few weeks exploring the tiny, peaceful islands. We were treated to [...]

24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM

Stunning Aegean

It was 11 miles to Skala Patmos and an amazing broad reach sail all the way (almost!) - definitely what it's all about. The sea could've been flatter but it was as expected after the high winds. We went side to on the quay with a Finnish boat where it was very flat and peaceful, especially after the [...]

11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM

At last, we’re off!

And finally we were ready to go! The engine started first turn, we let off the lines and left Samos marina. We've loved our extended stay on Samos but we're not sorry to leave the marina which is very is unprofessionally run. We were joined on our first trip for ages by dolphins just outside Pythagorio. [...]

07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM

Very stressful final preparations

The engine was removed very efficiently and with great respect for the boat. It was taken to Zlatco's workshop for further investigation! They returned an hour or so later to clean up - very impressive and the engine bay has never looked so clean and shiny! It was very traumatic watching Freya having [...]

Taking it Easy

09 October 2020 | Limnos - 8,620 NM
Lorraine Chapman | Warm and Drizzling
We enjoyed our anchorage in Meloyi so much we stayed another night. A very lazy day on board going ashore for a walk around the bay and surrounding hills in the afternoon and another fantastic full moon later. The following morning, after a long early morning swim, we moved around the corner to Skala Patmos and moored stern-to on the quay - 2nd attempt as the anchor didn't dig in first time. We love Patmos. It's very touristy but definitely one of the most beautiful Greek islands and so well looked after and clean - they even have recycling in the correct bins!

We took a taxi up to the Chora and spent most of the day just wandering, starting with coffee and possibly the best view in Greece. We didn't go in the monastery this time but walked through the narrow streets enjoying views around every corner and the wonderful colours of bougainvillea. I think most of the houses are now holiday homes and so it isn't 'real' but, again, it's so pretty, well kept and clean. Finally, we wound our way down the rough cobbled paths to town. That evening we enjoyed a lovely meal in a 'proper' restaurant ie not a taverna, delicious but not cheap.

The island is tiny but we felt we weren't doing it justice staying in Skala Patmos and so we hired a car for the day. Within an hour we were at the end of the island! There was spectacular scenery everywhere and we found beautiful coves for a swim (not Paul, obviously!), had lunch in a small taverna, found a huge rock on the beach where we climbed, literally, to a hermits cave and visited the supermarket to stock up.

We had one final day on Patmos to relax before moving on - it didn't quite turn out like that! We'd read that Patmos had an acropolis and although there wasn't very much remaining given our like of piles of old stones it had to be worth a visit. We weren't very sure where it was other than it had to be up a hill. After walking up a hill in town we were pleasantly surprised to find a sign pointing up. We soon ran out of town but the path, although rough, was ok. It got a bit more obscure as we climbed but we felt we were going in the right direction until we noticed old walls above us and no obvious way up. We weren't going to be deterred and so clambered/climbed until we were on top and a little concerned how we would get down again! There really wasn't much left apart from a few walls that must've been part of the base but it was interesting and the views amazing. Needless to say there was a small church up there, beautifully maintained, but the path to it seemed to go off for miles in the wrong direction. There had to be another way down - without ropes! After walking around the top we could see a path way below us and had to result to clambering down, partly on our bottoms. On safely reaching the bottom none the worse for wear apart from scratched legs we headed for the beach for a cooling swim before a much deserved ice-cream and then a glass of wine.

Lipsoi next. We headed for the beautiful bay of Katsadia (aka Kouloura). The sea was an amazing blue and so still and peaceful. There were quite a few boats anchored but there's plenty of room and so all was fine except that it was so quiet and peaceful that we could hear every noise from the other boats as it travelled over water - very annoying! In the morning we headed around the corner to Lipsoi town and the quay where we moored stern to. We've been before, a bit later in October and it's been really empty but not now! The boats poured in until the quay was full. We weren't expecting this!

After that first night, most of the boats left so it's now more like we remembered it, which is just as well. We are having a few peaceful days here, taking some gentle strolls and long coffees as Lorraine's back has decided to play up a little. Tonight the plan is to head into the village to one of our favourite restaurants in the Aegean, called "Manoli's Tastes", but if the drizzle continues we might delay that until tomorrow.
Comments

About & Links