Freya & Us

Vessel Name: Freya of Wight
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanranger
Hailing Port: Portishead
14 September 2022 | South Wales
04 May 2022
02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM
24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM
11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM
07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM
20 March 2022 | Samos - 8,735NM
31 October 2021 | Samos - 8,491 NM
09 November 2020 | Severn Beach, Bristol - 8,735 NM
08 November 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
26 October 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
20 October 2020 | Marathakampos - 20th October 2020 - 8,715NM
09 October 2020 | Limnos - 8,620 NM
30 September 2020 | Patmos - 8,602 NM
25 September 2020 | Evdhilos, Ikaria - 8,552 NM
13 September 2020 | Oinoussa - 8,491 NM
03 December 2019 | Bristol - 8,443 NM
05 November 2019 | Mytilini - 8,443 NM
18 October 2019 | Mytilini, Lesbos - 8,413 NM
11 October 2019 | Molyvos, Lesbos - 8,379 NM
Recent Blog Posts
14 September 2022 | South Wales

Final Story

After 12 years, 8,924 miles, 376 ports of call we officially handed Freya to her new owner last night.

04 May 2022

Interactive Map

By clicking on the link below you can load an interactive map to see our route and explore the places we stopped at.

02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM

The end of another adventure

Time to move on as we needed to drop Ian and Jess off in Kos for their flight home. There wasn't a breath of wind as we motored to Kos harbour which is very atmospheric under the old castle. It all felt very hectic in the town after a few weeks exploring the tiny, peaceful islands. We were treated to [...]

24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM

Stunning Aegean

It was 11 miles to Skala Patmos and an amazing broad reach sail all the way (almost!) - definitely what it's all about. The sea could've been flatter but it was as expected after the high winds. We went side to on the quay with a Finnish boat where it was very flat and peaceful, especially after the [...]

11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM

At last, we’re off!

And finally we were ready to go! The engine started first turn, we let off the lines and left Samos marina. We've loved our extended stay on Samos but we're not sorry to leave the marina which is very is unprofessionally run. We were joined on our first trip for ages by dolphins just outside Pythagorio. [...]

07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM

Very stressful final preparations

The engine was removed very efficiently and with great respect for the boat. It was taken to Zlatco's workshop for further investigation! They returned an hour or so later to clean up - very impressive and the engine bay has never looked so clean and shiny! It was very traumatic watching Freya having [...]

A very strange year

13 September 2020 | Oinoussa - 8,491 NM
Lorraine Chapman | Hot and Windy
Well, we didn't think we would be sailing this year - but here we are! The marina were putting us under pressure to move Freya as she was apparently in the way. In the end we gave in and 24th August, with some apprehension we started our journey to Lesvos. We needn't have worried, Heathrow was eerily quiet (it would've been hard not to socially distance!) and our flight to Athens had only 25 passengers and so apart from having to wear a mask all the way was stress free and comfortable. Our 2nd flight to Mytilini early the next morning was only half full and so all good. We had a very nice apartment overlooking the harbour for a few days while we got Freya ready to go back in the water. Very comfortable if a bit noisy and no ladders involved! It felt good to be back in the sunshine. Although Mytilini had had a spike in cases it felt quite comfortable re COVID with everyone behaving responsibly.

Freya was a bit of a shock - we have never seen her so dirty and clearly unhappy - bird poo everywhere! Our first day was spent scrubbing and more scrubbing followed by very nice souvlakia on the harbour. She still wasn't clean but it would have to do until she was launched.

The next couple of days were hard work doing things we normally do in the spring when it's cooler. It was 35+ degrees and very humid and we were melting! Anyway, we plodded on and day one we did anodes, antifouled the prop, cleaned the hull, rust painted the keel and then discovered we had a defective battery which burnt through a cable in the engine bay creating a scary amount of smoke! Day 2 we antifouled - yuck! Had a lovely lunch in the marina bar before I went back to the apartment while Paul waited for the electrician to sort the battery/electrical fault and an engineer to replace another broken sea cock - one was replaced before we returned.

Finally, we were craned back in with thankfully no dramas and we were back on board. The rigger came to fix our furler - I went to the beach as this was definitely no place for a woman! Freya was clearly still sulking as we discovered a problem with yet another sea cock (and the shower pump)! We thought it was blocked at first and I had the lovely job of swimming under the boat in the disgusting marina water to try and clear it - yuck again! It was soon clear the sea cock was broken and we needed a mini lift out and engineer. Only in Greece - we spoke to the engineer who would do it the following afternoon if we arranged the lift. We spoke to the crane driver who would only work in the morning! Stalemate! In the evening we were walking back to the boat when we heard someone running after us - the crane driver - he had another engineer who would do it in the morning. This lift was horrendous! Only 2 men arrived who clearly weren't confident and kept shouting at each other - and Paul. The straps and hook were continually in the wrong place. Freya was lifted up and down several times until everyone was happy. She was held in the sling for half an hour while the sea cock was changed. Nightmare! To top it all off we had an argument over the 'agreed' price!

During all of this the COVID restrictions were increased on Lesvos and it was added to the quarantine destinations in the UK. We now had to wear masks all the time when away from the boat. So uncomfortable in the heat?

One of our jobs was to replace a leaking water tank which we managed reasonably easily. The first challenge is to get the old one out from under the bench where it fits very snuggly and then off the boat where it is an equally snug fit through the companion way and then onto a bouncing pontoon. Then fitting the new tank which is flexible which meant lining the space to ensure there is no danger of puncture and filling the bottom to ensure it sits flat allowing the water to run out. We used a blanket for lining and then scratched our heads until coming up with the brilliant idea of polystyrene balls to fill the bottom - but where to get them on a small island! Out for an evening stroll we passed a shop with a bean bag outside - perfect! Tank fitted and all working!

Next problem was the outboard - we'd left it with an engineer last November and he'd reported it was all fixed but more expensive than he first quoted. When it arrived he'd broken the propeller which 'we' then had to replace! We then attached it to the new dinghy and, of course, it didn't work at all! After a few days the engineer returned and it was explained that we'd left him with a running outboard with a problem and he'd 'fixed it' so that we now had an outboard that didn't work at all and we would not be giving him anymore money! He took it away and brought it back working......

Phew! Including our usual recommissioning that was the end of the work list! In between the work we had a few good evenings involving lots of wine and food with our German friends from last year, Gundel and Wolf-dieter on White Satin.

The marina gave us a very good price to spend another winter in Mytilini and so as we didn't have a lot of time the plan was to circumnavigate Lesvos and return to the marina - but then we saw the news! COVID had reached the refugee camp causing disagreements over isolation resulting in huge fires in the camp. There were road blocks to contain the refugees, riot police and troops were flown in, tear gas was used and there were 13,000 homeless refugees! Nightmare! But there was nothing we could do to help apart from sort out sacks of clothes on the boat which hopefully reached the refugees in need. We were very sorry and guilty to leave the marina and felt we were deserting them but given the refugee situation and rising COVID cases we felt we had no choice.

We had a disappointing motor to an anchorage, Mersina, on the south of Lesvos with notoriously bad holding. We thought our anchor had dug in but as the wind picked up we realised we couldn't stay. Tarti Bay next door looked good and so we moved before dark and anchored behind some rocks where the holding was excellent but in the dark we could hear waves crashing on the rocks nearby which was very disconcerting! First thing in the morning we left Lesvos and had another disappointing motor sail south to Nisos Oinoussa where we moored on the quay. It's beautiful, peaceful, with stunning sunsets and no refugees or COVID! Normal sailing has resumed...........
Comments

About & Links