RIDING THE WIND - YACHT AQUARIUS

Gary and Libby Penney

12 October 2013
17 August 2013 | BATAVIA MARINA JAKARTA
01 August 2013
20 July 2013 | JAKARTA - SUNDA KELAPA HARBOUR
21 June 2013
08 June 2013 | P. BELITUNG
04 June 2013 | TANJUNG KELAYANG BELITUNG
04 June 2013
02 June 2013 | WEST JAVA SEA

ENROUTE TO P. BELITUNG

02 June 2013 | WEST JAVA SEA
Our departure from Nongsa Point was on time as planned as 0700 on Sat 1June. The night before we had thought that we would pop up to the Resort Bar, have a steak for dinner, and say a quick (note quick) goodbye to the many friends that we have made during our time at Nongsa. We extracted at 11.00 pm only to run afoul of the Nongsa Resort accounting at the time of paying our dues. Despite having told the desk people 3 times that we were leaving and would be paying up on the Friday night, they still fluffed it. Midnight saw us still being presented with old invoices that required payment. Finally, all settled up and off to bed to get some rest - but no, knock knock on the hull at 12.30 am and yet one more bill they had found. Agghhhh!!!. Anyway, enough said, we left on time and our dear friend Acok threw our lines and we all had a little difficulty swallowing and seeing as we motored out of the marina. We had planned a peaceful slow passage with day hops to Belitung. The forecast came through with northerly winds predicted for the next few days and we decided to go for it. So far, the forecast has held good with flat flat seas and very light north east to north west winds. We have only been able to sail for a few hours due to the lightness of the breeze, but after last years weather we are definitely not complaining. We are now only 115 nms from Belitung and anticipate arriving tomorrow morning all being well. No fish caught yet despite trailing our lure for a couple of days. Lots of shipping early in the passage but only the odd one or two now. Just on last light last night we came upon a scattering of fishing boats and at the last minute in the fading light we saw endless nets stretched across our path. The boats were teTHered to the downwind end of the float nets and so we detoured to the south a couple of miles to avoid them. Each net stretched over a mile or so in length. Amazing and so lucky we had enough light to spot them. At the end of the first 24 hours we very very tired and so Libby suggested that we do a couple of longer watches so as to recover some sleep. So last night I did from 100 thru to 0030 and Libby did from then thru to 0500. Long long watch but both of us are now better refreshed for the longer sleeps. Looking forward to getting to Belitung. Saturday morning as we were going down the Riau Strait between Batam and Bintan we were overtaken by another Australian Yacht (Haven) who are also on their way to Belitung and then on to Cocos for South Africa. Hopefully we will be able to meet up with them at Belitung and compare passage plans and notes.
Comments
Vessel Name: AQUARIUS
Vessel Make/Model: ROBERTS OFFSHORE 38
Hailing Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA
Crew: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
About: We have lived aboard Aquarius since November 1998 and our children describe us as true 'Sea Gypsies'. We love our boat and enjoy the nomadic lifestyle it provides.
Extra:
HOW WE STARTED We bought Aquarius in 1997 after several years of trying to decide what sort of yacht we wanted and, most importantly, what sort we could afford. Our dream for many years had been to buy a yacht with the intention of sailing it around the world. After many sailing trips on OP's [...]

ABOUT US

Who: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA