RIDING THE WIND - YACHT AQUARIUS

Gary and Libby Penney

12 October 2013
17 August 2013 | BATAVIA MARINA JAKARTA
01 August 2013
20 July 2013 | JAKARTA - SUNDA KELAPA HARBOUR
21 June 2013
08 June 2013 | P. BELITUNG
04 June 2013 | TANJUNG KELAYANG BELITUNG
04 June 2013
02 June 2013 | WEST JAVA SEA

PULAU BATAM AND NONGSA POINT INFORMATION

17 June 2013
GARY
BATAM INFORMATION We thought we would put together some information to maybe assist other cruising yachties find some outlets on Batam for shopping, dining etc. To provide some perspective, Nongsa Point is about 40-45 mins away from the main shopping areas on Batam. We used several Malls for shopping: Kepri Mall (the nearest) has Carrefore. Nagoya Hill has a Hypermart and Matahari department store. Batam Centre has a Hypermart and Matahari. DC Mall has a Hypermart.

Transport. We chose not to drive or ride during our stay on Batam as we found the traffic and skills of local drivers/riders somewhat overawing. Nongsa provides a free shuttle to Batam Centre on Fridays (leaves 1300 returns 1630) Saturday (same hours as Friday) and Sunday (departs 1000 and returns 1300. )A car/taxi can be hired by asking at the reception in the resort Lobby at Nongsa. The car will cost Ir300,000 for a return trip to Nagoya, Batam or elsewhere with a time limit of 4 hrs for the journey. Extra hours are 80,000/hr. Singapore Ferry. Batam Fast Ferry operates with good frequency from Nongsapura Ferry Terminal (near to Nongsa Point Marina) and terminates at the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal on the eastern end of Singapore near to Changi International Airport.. The resort provides a free shuttle to/from the ferry for marina berth holders. Pick up is from the Lobby usually 1 hour before the ferry departure times. The resort lobby staff will book your ticket on the ferry of your choice and will advise you of the pick up times. The first ferry departs Nongsapura at 0600hrs daily. The resort lobby has ferry timetables. Cost. Open return trip to Singapore is US$26.00. Returning from Singapore however, you will be required to pay SG$20.00 departure tax. Luggage is free going to Singapore, returning from Singapore the first 20Kg is free with additional weight attracting an excess baggage fee. On return to Nongsapura, incoming travellers are required to purchase a new visa (US $10 for 7 days, US$25.00 for 30 days although this is worked as being 28 days). You can carry your own luggage or the local porters charge SG$1.00 per bag. Nagoya Hill Hypermart. The vegetable quality varies by the day. Chicken is usually fresh and also frozen chickens can be purchased. Ace Hardware is collocated at the Mall and is a reasonable source of hardware. Telkomsel have a customer service shop just outside the Mall - here you can purchase SIM cards and top-ups DC Mall. Good for local and sometimes imported fruit and vegetables. Batam Centre. Again, the quality of the fruit and vegetables varies daily. The Mall is also home to Starbucks, Black Canyon Coffee and JC Coffee, Bread talk and Pizza Hut. Kepri Mall Carrefore. Fruit and vegetables usually not so good. Big supermarket but somewhat light on for choices. Galeil. This is 'upmarket outlet' located at Nagoya and also Batam Centre (not at the Malls but close by). This outlet supplies imported food products mainly from the USA and Europe. They also have some frozen pork products. Warning: expensive. The Meat Shop. The Meat Shop is located near Nagoya Hill Mall and has frozen and chilled cryovaced NZ and Australian beef products. Eg beef rib eye and tenderloin fillets, prime mince, also frozen chicken etc. The have a very limited range of cheese. The manager name is Zen and speaks good English. For large orders it is best to call him and organise the order. Ph +6281270486234/+6281991028488. The Meat Shop also has an upstairs bar and grill. Boat Parts. Toko Nikken in Nagoya is probably the best location for simple boat parts. The range is limited and the English not good. We sourced most of our boat parts from either Marinetech (Jessie) or Aquamarine (Ron) in Singapore. The staff at the marina have a pretty good idea of what is available and where it can be located. Apart from Clement (the Marina Manager), Acok is the best of the marina staff for advice and assistance. The marina office3 have a selection of business cards relating to local business companies/individuals. Canvas Work. Toko Robin is a good place to have awnings resewn etc. Robins is located in Nagoya. Alcohol. The local expats recommend purchasing wine and spirits from the shop at the Nongsapura ferry terminal. We sussed it out and the owners said they would give good discount on large orders. We purchased our wine from the alcohol shop in the Kepri Mall. The price was more expensive but the wine was of better quality. Beer is best bought in the local village Batu Besar. There is a minimart that sells beer and a smaller mart on the same side of the road but 100-200 metres nearer to Nongsa Point. The nearer one is the cheaper. Dining Out. We did not spend a lot of night time away from Nongsa - mainly because of distance etc. However, we can well recommend Retzeki Restaurant in the nearby village of Batu Besar to seafood lovers. The food quality is fabulous mud crabs, prawns, bugs, fish), the service bright, friendly and fast and you can pay by credit card. There is a smaller seafood restaurant that some local expats use located past the Nongsapura ferry terminal along the beach. When we first arrived this was a favourite of ours. However, over time the prices rose and the quality and portion size dropped. Both Batam Centre Mall and Nagoya Hill have reasonable lunchtime restaurants. For additional spots to eat out, the expats at Nongsa Point have a wealth of collective knowledge.

Marina Inwards/Outwards Clearance. The Marina Staff complete all inwards/outwards clearance for you ie Immigration, customs, port and quarantine. Usually takes about an hour for inwards. Outwards, the staff ask that you give them 24 hrs notice of your departure. All bills, eg bar, restaurant, marina berthing electricity and water are invoiced and payable at the lobby reception. On final payment you will be given your respective clearances papers. Sunday Buffet. Sundays the marina resort has a lunchtime buffet in the bar area. This is a favourite with local expats. The cost is SG $30/head and that is an all you can eat soup, mains and cheese platter with a glass of house red or beer thrown in for good measure. The buffet is great value with usual fare including soup of the day with crusty bread, roast beef, lamb, chicken, a fish dish, lots of veg and salads. Starts 1200 sharp. Marina Mini Mart. Expensive. The manager can and will purchase top ups for your Telkomsel or other sims. Canteen. Between the Men's toilets and the Minimart is a door that leads to the marina Security Office. Continuing down the short corridor brings you to the staff canteen. We were able to purchase basic local cooked food for lunch at very, very reasonable prices. They have a Nasi Padang (buffet) and will also cook mee and nasi goreng to order. The canteen is there for meals for the resort and marina staff and has limited buffet supplies. To this end, we recommend being very conscious about not going overboard when selecting buffet items. Nasi goreng and mee goreng are fine. Resort Bar. Happy hour is 1700-1900. Drinks are half price and this is the time some of the local expats front the bar - so friendships are born. There is a pool table in the bar and this is a favourite with the expats. All beers during happy hour are SG$3.00, Spirits SG$2.00, wine SG$5.00.
Comments
Vessel Name: AQUARIUS
Vessel Make/Model: ROBERTS OFFSHORE 38
Hailing Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA
Crew: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
About: We have lived aboard Aquarius since November 1998 and our children describe us as true 'Sea Gypsies'. We love our boat and enjoy the nomadic lifestyle it provides.
Extra:
HOW WE STARTED We bought Aquarius in 1997 after several years of trying to decide what sort of yacht we wanted and, most importantly, what sort we could afford. Our dream for many years had been to buy a yacht with the intention of sailing it around the world. After many sailing trips on OP's [...]

ABOUT US

Who: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA