RIDING THE WIND - YACHT AQUARIUS

Gary and Libby Penney

12 October 2013
17 August 2013 | BATAVIA MARINA JAKARTA
01 August 2013
20 July 2013 | JAKARTA - SUNDA KELAPA HARBOUR
21 June 2013
08 June 2013 | P. BELITUNG
04 June 2013 | TANJUNG KELAYANG BELITUNG
04 June 2013
02 June 2013 | WEST JAVA SEA

BATAVIA MARINA - THE CRUISER'S PERSPECTIVE

20 July 2013 | JAKARTA - SUNDA KELAPA HARBOUR
GARY
We have been in Batavia Marina at Jakarta for just over two weeks after being towed here by a friendly fishing trawler. The marina is located at 06 07'18"S 106 48'76"E within the Sunda Kelapa Harbour. The marina is a very friendly place with the marina staff always go the extra mile to help us and the boat hands so welcoming.
A bit about the marina for those yachties thinking about visiting. The marina can be called on VHF CH 69, but we found that it isn't always working or monitored. The approach channel to the marina is marked by two sets of port and starboard channel markers - lit with flashing green and red lights at night. A night approach can be difficult as the channel markers are difficult to isolate from the background harbour lighting. From seaward, the marina is easily identified by the long breakwater that runs east west along the whole frontage of the marina. The wall comprises conical topped concrete poles cemented together to form a very effective breakwater - the marina experiences no swell or surge. The approach channel is approx. 300 metres in length and the channel depths we charted at half tide were between 5+ metres and 2.1 metres. We draw 2.1 and we didn't feel any bumps - the bottom is very soft and silty. The tide at Jakarta is diurnal and has a range of 1-1.5 metres. The marina entrance is at the eastern end of the breakwater. Once through the approach channel (approx. 300 metres long and running north to south) a sharp turn to starboard sees you in a concrete walled channel of about 150 metres leading to the marina basin.Care is needed on the turn as close to the outside breakwater the depth is quite shallow. Once inside the marina basin the depths average around 3-5 metres.
Berths. The berths are either floating marina docks with slips, or med mooring backing up to floating docks. The slips are in varying repair and a prior recon is recommended before entering the marina. Berths should be prior booked through the Marina Berth Master Mr Putu Suryadi Ph +62 818 0639 4938, or email putu@batavia-marina.com. The marina tends to be quite full it would not be wise to arrive without making a booking. We are a 12 metre monohull and our monthly rate is 5,280,000Rp with water and electricity on topm. The water is not potable but 20 litre RO water can be purchased at the marina and is inexpensive.
Fuel. The marina also sells diesel and petrol. the diesel is the best quality and cleanest we have found anywhere in Asia. The current price is 10,400Rp/litre.
Transport. the marina is quite isolated and is within the 'secure' harbour area. The local Jakarta traffic is an absolute nightmare and I would not recommend attempting to join the fray by self-drive. Taxis are very cheap and can be booked either by phone yourself or the marina front desk will do it for you. The wait time for a taxi depends on the time of day. the marina will tell you that a wait of 2 hours in not uncommon. Generally, we have had a taxi within 40 minutes - often a lot less. Blue Bird taxi company we found to be the best and most reliable. They use a meter and charge by the kilometre - which helps when stuck in Jakarta traffic for a couple of hours. The Bluebird operators speak good English and their ph number is +62 217 917 1234. other taxi companies do not, or refuse, to use their meters and will increase the fare 10 fold.
Shopping. The closest Shopping Mall is Mangga Dua Square and is about 5 kms away - 30,000Rp taxi ride away. Our usual time to travel is around 15-30 minutes. There is a Carrefour supermarket there and also Phone, computer and factory discounted clothing outlets. Several excellent chinese restaurants are also located on the ground floor - one adjacent the Novetel entrance.
ATM and MiniMart. There is an ATM and a mimimart located within the harbour precinct and within 5 mins walk. the ATM is near the western harbour gate and the minimart just outside the centre gate. The eastern gate, the one nearest the marina entrance, closes at 1800 daily.
WIFI. The marina has free wifi but the berths are not within range. However, inside the marina building is very comfortable and airconned so wifi inside is good.
Marina Restaurant and Bar. The marina restaurant provides delicious meals, local, chinese, Japanese and western at very inexpensive prices. The bar sells draft and bottled beer - draft Bintang pitcher of beer 95,000Rp, handle 35,000Rp. Wine is expensive.
Cell Phone top ups. The marina cashier can provide top ups for you cell phone.
Marina Amenities. The showers and toilets at the marina are very modern and also kept very clean.
Comments
Vessel Name: AQUARIUS
Vessel Make/Model: ROBERTS OFFSHORE 38
Hailing Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA
Crew: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
About: We have lived aboard Aquarius since November 1998 and our children describe us as true 'Sea Gypsies'. We love our boat and enjoy the nomadic lifestyle it provides.
Extra:
HOW WE STARTED We bought Aquarius in 1997 after several years of trying to decide what sort of yacht we wanted and, most importantly, what sort we could afford. Our dream for many years had been to buy a yacht with the intention of sailing it around the world. After many sailing trips on OP's [...]

ABOUT US

Who: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA