Gemini

28 August 2014 | Cala Serena
19 August 2014 | Fornells
15 August 2014 | Sargone
12 August 2014 | Sargone
10 August 2014 | Revellata
04 August 2014 | Capraia
31 July 2014 | Elba
28 July 2014 | Cala Sant`Amanza
25 July 2014 | Sardinia
19 July 2014 | Porto Conte
13 June 2014 | Lo Pagan
04 June 2014 | Cartagena
01 June 2014 | San Pedro
30 May 2014 | San Jose
09 August 2013 | Cala En Porter
07 August 2013 | Menorca
01 August 2013 | Mallorca
21 July 2013 | Mallorca
19 July 2013 | Cala Binirras
15 July 2013 | San Pedro

Stuck in Sagone

15 August 2014 | Sargone
Jane
We presumed the weather forecast was correct as the local ferry went out to its mooring and suspended all services due to bad weather and they wouldn’t give up business lightly especially in August. So we moved across the beach to the most tucked in , protected spot we could find and endlessly looked out to sea awaiting the arrival of the winds and waves. Our only concern was that we were in quite shallow and close to the beach – 3 metres depth - which didn’t give us much bouncing depth if the waves were breaking but the rest of the bay was taken up with local boats so there wasn’t much choice. We were joined in our spot by a couple of catamarans and another yacht presumably all taking refuge from the winds and sea. Nothing much happened for the rest of the day and night except that the dinghy belonging to the catamaran by us floated away and a man on board had to jump over and swim to rescue it.
On the second day we rowed ashore on a hunt for shop to buy some food as although we had still had plenty of food and wouldn’t starve some essentials (but now being considered luxuries) such as coffee and biscuits were running low. Also it would be nice to have some fresh food – the lettuce is getting very limp.. The unreliable pilot book said there was a supermarket by the breakwater and although we couldn’t see any sign of it through the binoculars we rowed over and had a look. Predictably nothing so we walked along the road towards the hotels and restaurants but again nothing except a tourist shop selling speciality Corsican foods at eye watering prices eg a small round cheese of unknown origin was marked at 24 euros. We did buy some onions, potatoes, tomatoes, eggs, peaches and a lettuce that was nearly as limp as the one we already had. And that was it for re provisioning. - thank goodness for the tinned tomatoes and pasta...
When we re anchored on the first day to tuck in closer there were 5 orange mooring buoys in the way and when the boat settled we were quite close to one that kept annoyingly knocking on the side of the boat. At first we pulled it up and tied it off on the guard rails on the side (and covered it with a towel to prevent anyone from the shore seeing and coming out to complain) but the rope attached to it was still rubbing on the hull of our boat and taking off the antifoul. The logical thing (well to us anyway) was to pull it on board and put it in the anchor locker just as you would if you were using it). At least that got it out of the way. However on the 2nd day of the bad weather forecast a couple off dive boats turned up and were circling close to us , apparently looking for something. One of the dive instructors then put his full dive gear on complete with aqua lung etc and dived in to search the sea bed in front of us. He surfaced at the back of our boat and very politely in English said that he thought we had something that belonged to him – the orange buoy was his! Poor man had been looking for it and had had to go down to the seabed to trace it back to us. We felt quite guilty about I,t apologised and dropped it back in to the sea but he just smiled and said thank you. I think he was bemused as why we had it on board when we were clearly using our own anchor but he was relieved to have it back. Apparently they only put the dive boats there when there is bad weather so normally it wouldn’t have mattered. So far we hadn’t felt any effect of the wind and sea on the boat although the weather was alternately sunny and then very dark and stormy but if the dive boats were being moved and the ferry was still not running we must have made the right decision to stay put.
Amazing how time passes though and we stayed 3 days at anchor before the weather forecast started to improve or at least not get more dire every day. Throughout the whole time the boat hardly moved and the sea was quite calm in the bay although we could see how rough it was out to sea. We were glad to be in such a protected spot even if we hadn’t planned it that way.
On day 4 although it still looked stormy we decided to lift the anchor, head out to sea and have a look at the sea conditions and see if we could at least sail down the coast or even across to Sardinia which was only 40 miles. If worst came to the worst we could always turn round and come back but maybe if all went well we might even sail straight to Menorca although that was going to be a 3 day sail. But as ever, one island at a time Martyn said and let's see if we can make it to Sardinia. However I have heard that phrase before and I kind of know we are going to Menorca. We haven`t had a proper food shop for 10 days and now the provisons are going to have last another 4 maybe 5 days I sometimes think Martyn thinks I have a secret shop in the front cabin where I just pop in to buy dinner and then shut it up before he sees it! Life on boat does make you appreciate how convenient shops are in the UK, a car to get there and bring the shopping back and even the internet to just click, select and have it turn up at the door. Also this last place has made me think about how useless money is when there are no shops and no food and you have no way of getting to any. (There were no buses either). I am sure this will all be good preparation and stand me in good stead if the Armageddon comes...

Comments
Vessel Name: Gemini
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Hailing Port: Poole
Crew: Martyn and Jane

GEMINI

Who: Martyn and Jane
Port: Poole