GHOST

A blog account of the activities of yacht GHOST.

Vessel Name: GHOST
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 470e
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Brad and Kat McMaster
06 May 2011 | Melbourne
01 February 2011 | Melbourne
05 December 2010 | Sydney Harbour, Australia
28 November 2010 | Pittwater, NSW, Australia
28 November 2010 | Sydney Harbour, Australia
28 November 2010 | Pittwater, NSW, Australia
23 November 2010 | Pittwater, NSW, Australia
17 November 2010 | Coffs Harbour
12 November 2010 | 100nm NE of Coffs Harbour
10 November 2010 | closing on Australian coast east of Brisbane
08 November 2010 | On route to Oz
07 November 2010 | Baie de Prony, New Caledonia
06 November 2010 | Vanuatu & New Caledonia
03 November 2010 | Noumea, New Caledonia
25 October 2010 | Santo, Vanuatu
14 October 2010 | Aore Island, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
13 October 2010 | Aore Island, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
12 October 2010 | Aore Island, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
05 October 2010 | Aore Island, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
16 September 2010 | On route to Vanuatu
Recent Blog Posts
06 May 2011 | Melbourne

It's Official

It's a sad but good thing, we no longer own GHOST. She is now owned by an architect in Sydney who has plans of sailing the South Pacific once again.

01 February 2011 | Melbourne

Reality bites!!

It's been a while since we updated the blog. Apologies for that but we've been busy fighting off the onslaught of reality, not really wanting to admit it's over! After arriving it was the welcome party in Sydney, followed by a hectic week of moving ALL our personal stuff off GHOST. On a side note, it [...]

05 December 2010 | Sydney Harbour, Australia

Pictures from the party & sailing around Sydney harbour

See pics:

28 November 2010 | Pittwater, NSW, Australia

GHOST for sale!

Well it's sad news but GHOST is now officially up for sale!

28 November 2010 | Sydney Harbour, Australia

Welcome to Sydney GHOST

Well it was a brilliantly sunny day as we set off from Pittwater in GHOST, entering the Sydney heads about lunchtime. It was a pretty emotional sail through this iconic harbour which Brad has envisaged sailing into as long as he's dreamt of sailing home to Australia. Soon we were pulling up to the [...]

The Marquesas

05 May 2010 | Nuku Hiva, Marquesas
Jay
Well after a pretty action packed few weeks we have realised the blog may have been neglected somewhat. Now that we are safely anchored in Manihi in the Tuamotus and the floor is once again at 90 degrees to our feet for any length of time - it's time to rectify.

We arrived in Nuka Hiva at 4am after 21 days at sea. The previous night's sunset over Hiva Oa had been stunning and suitably welcomed us to the Marquises islands in French Polynesia. After anchoring in the bay we all headed to bed for some well earned sleep only to be confronted in the morning with sheer cliffs all around the boat and some rare glimpses of civilisation. Happily JP, a friend from Panama who is sailing single handed across the Pacific, was also in the bay and was soon zooming over to welcome us, give us some tips to the island and offering to head ashore with us. We weren't disappointed as we once again got to stretch our legs and, on JP's advice, walked to a fantastic hotel overlooking the bay. The cokes may have been expensive, but the free dip in the infinity pool was more than worth it (luckily for them Ghost has a watermaker onboard and so this wasn't our first bath for 3 weeks...). We also stocked up on cash - only to discover that French Polynesian money is both enormous and comes in ridiculously oversized denominations from the cash point. So the nearly A4 sized piece of colourful paper we grabbed to go for a beer with was actually $100 USD. That said - maybe we'd need as much as we could carry as we soon found out beers were $7, despite pizzas being only $10. Luckily Ghost is still pretty chock full of beer and food from Panama or evening beers could have become a walletbreaker....

The next few days were spent exploring the town (well that took around 2 hours), checking into customs, getting fuel and hiring a car to explore. The landscape was stunning to say the least. A mixture of towering cliffs, palm studded bays, desert on the Western end and huge pine forests at the higher altitudes. Our second day on the island also brought the first heavy rains they'd had for months - confirming my recently hard earnt reputation as always attracting rain and squalls. A heavy swell also started to roll into the normally calm anchorage. Other boats disappeared behind large rollers and getting to the town and using the dingy dock became a dice with death. We soon found out that the unusual swell had been caused by a 7.8 magnitude earthquake in Vanuatu which, despite not triggering a tsunami, had sent a large swell across most of the South Pacific.

We'd read a lot about the fantastic walks and huge waterfalls in neighbouring bays and so, as usual the Ghost crew had itchy feet to move on. We motored the 7 miles to Daniel's bay and were met with a stunning calm anchorage surrounded by enormous cliffs and lush vegetation. The next morning we were up early to head ashore, braving large surf in the dingy to head up a freshwater river. We soon landed and walked the 1.5 hours to the head of the canyon to check out the waterfall. Fresh fruit, bananas and coconuts hung from the trees and the cliffs closed in and got higher. Unfortunately we missed out on seeing the full force of the waterfall because of the recent dry weather. We also had to hold back Kat from decimating the freshwater prawn population for dinner (we later discovered they were protected and so may not have made a great deal of friends with that one...!)

We returned to the boat earlier in the day than we had anticipated and, keen to see the Tuamotus, headed off that afternoon for yet another 500 mile passage.

Link to more photos see: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bradmcmaster1/Marquesas
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups