GHOST

A blog account of the activities of yacht GHOST.

Vessel Name: GHOST
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 470e
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Brad and Kat McMaster
06 May 2011 | Melbourne
01 February 2011 | Melbourne
05 December 2010 | Sydney Harbour, Australia
28 November 2010 | Pittwater, NSW, Australia
28 November 2010 | Sydney Harbour, Australia
28 November 2010 | Pittwater, NSW, Australia
23 November 2010 | Pittwater, NSW, Australia
17 November 2010 | Coffs Harbour
12 November 2010 | 100nm NE of Coffs Harbour
10 November 2010 | closing on Australian coast east of Brisbane
08 November 2010 | On route to Oz
07 November 2010 | Baie de Prony, New Caledonia
06 November 2010 | Vanuatu & New Caledonia
03 November 2010 | Noumea, New Caledonia
25 October 2010 | Santo, Vanuatu
14 October 2010 | Aore Island, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
13 October 2010 | Aore Island, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
12 October 2010 | Aore Island, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
05 October 2010 | Aore Island, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
16 September 2010 | On route to Vanuatu
Recent Blog Posts
06 May 2011 | Melbourne

It's Official

It's a sad but good thing, we no longer own GHOST. She is now owned by an architect in Sydney who has plans of sailing the South Pacific once again.

01 February 2011 | Melbourne

Reality bites!!

It's been a while since we updated the blog. Apologies for that but we've been busy fighting off the onslaught of reality, not really wanting to admit it's over! After arriving it was the welcome party in Sydney, followed by a hectic week of moving ALL our personal stuff off GHOST. On a side note, it [...]

05 December 2010 | Sydney Harbour, Australia

Pictures from the party & sailing around Sydney harbour

See pics:

28 November 2010 | Pittwater, NSW, Australia

GHOST for sale!

Well it's sad news but GHOST is now officially up for sale!

28 November 2010 | Sydney Harbour, Australia

Welcome to Sydney GHOST

Well it was a brilliantly sunny day as we set off from Pittwater in GHOST, entering the Sydney heads about lunchtime. It was a pretty emotional sail through this iconic harbour which Brad has envisaged sailing into as long as he's dreamt of sailing home to Australia. Soon we were pulling up to the [...]

Dubrovnik and Montenegro

29 June 2009 | Cavtat, Croatia
B&K
Cavtat being such a decent little place, we were comfortable with leaving the boat in the anchorage here and so saved ourselves the hassle, and indeed the cash, of going into the Marina in Dubrovnik. It also gave us a chance to explore some of the local area.

On Saturday we took a short bus ride and explored Dubrovnik, it is such a beautiful city and a great way to start exploring is to circumnavigate the town by walking the city walls, perhaps the most iconic feature of the city and the Adriatic for that matter. We splurged on the portable audio tour so got a really good view of the history of the town as we walked around. The walls truly are magnificent, protecting the city throughout its history, the most recent being the 1991-95 conflict with Serbia. We had no idea the city was under siege to such an extent during this time. We then had a picnic near the old harbour (which is unfortunately too small and busy for yachties) and then explored through the narrow streets. The town itself is much like any old town. This one is well laid out by comparison but is still loaded with tourist shops and of course tourists. We didn't feel the need to spend much more time after the wall experience and headed back to the boat.

Sunday we hired a car and after watching some traditional folk dancing in a local village of Cilipi (bit dubious to begin with but it was actually really good stuff) headed across the border into Montenegro! Although the area looked like a more run down version of Croatia in places, the beautiful and fjord-like Boka Kotorska bay had us wishing we had sailed in there on our way up to Croatia. There was loads of room for GHOST on the quay at Kotor, another old-walled city. This time the city wall rises steeply up the mountain behind the town and resembles something more like the Great Wall of China complete with over 3,000 steps to the top. So after beer and pizza for lunch we set off and weren't disappointed by the view! After driving around the large bay we cut across a mountain pass to Budva which gave more of a view of life in inland Montenegro and gave Brad a bit of a headache after an hour or so of hairpin bends (50 odd) on the way up! As time was getting on we had a limited look at Budva and then headed back, our tiny Twingo proving it's worth by squeezing into the last possible bit of space on a ferry across the bay.

Montenegro really is a beautiful country. The towns can appear a little run down in parts but the coast line and the interior that we saw was naturally beautiful. At lunch we marvelled how a glace in one direction had you on a fjord-esq harbour, great for sailing but looking back over your shoulder you'd swear you where in the Alps. Rumour has it the Russians are investing heavily in the area and there is no doubt this part of the world will very shortly become a top 10 tourist destination, fingers crossed it can be controlled in some way, so as not to blow out to a gaudy, tacky tourist trap. Today however it is worth every effort to get there.

Amongst the hectic tourist stuff we got talking to a great Aussie couple off IADABA, the boat anchored next to us in the bay and had a couple of nights of drinking, dinner and great chats - Kate and Hugh it was great to meet you looking forward to catching up somewhere, sometime in the future! The weather has continued to be stormy all week with heavy rain at times but today has dawned sunny and bright (although the forecast suggests more inclement weather) so we plan to sail up past Dubrovnik (every sailor should do it once!) and on through the islands, first stop is Mljet...

PS More pictures on: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bradmcmaster1
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups