Travels of Girl Four

03 December 2013 | The Sea of Cortez
30 November 2013 | La Paz, Baja California, Mexico
27 November 2013 | La Paz, Baja California, Mexico
26 November 2013 | La Paz, Baja California, Mexico
25 November 2013 | La Paz, Baja California, Mexico

Chillin' in La Paz

25 November 2013 | La Paz, Baja California, Mexico
1016 mbr pressure, 14 kts north wind, 80 deg air, 78 deg water
After we concluded the Baha Haha festivities in Cabo San Lucas, we went a short way up the coast to San Jose' del Cabo and its quiet marina. While there we collected ourselves and prepared for the next leg of our voyage - the sail to La Paz. On the day we left, the weatherman promised light winds and good conditions. However, once free of the marina and out in the open ocean it was anything but "light" and "good." Thankfuily at least, the winds were westerly, pushing us where we wanted to go. We sailed downwind with only a reduced main set. On the way we monitored the VHF and heard of many fellow cruisers turning around, seeking shelter, and trying to enter crowded anchorages or non-existent marinas.

As we turned the corner of the peninsula, gained ground up the coast, and entered the evening, the conditions abated and we were again dependent on our motor. There are only two good anchorages on the way to La Paz; the first was filled and the second came too late in the night to chance. So we kept on, standing watches, checking the chart plotter, and gaining ground to La Paz. By the time dawn began to arrive, we were well down the San Lorenzo Channel, with the steamship-size car ferry from mainland Mexico hot on our tail. In the end, we actually had to stay outside the approach to La Paz until the dawn lit the skies and we could enter the narrow access route. Thankfully Emily had reserved a slip in Marina Palmar for us (where we stayed last year), and nothing felt better to slide into it and tie up - concerns gone.
Comments
Vessel Name: Girl Four
Vessel Make/Model: 2002 Beneteau 473, 2-cabin, deep keel
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington
Crew: Tom and Emily Martinez
About: Tom is a retired construction executive and consultant; Emily is a retired registered nurse. Our three grown children live in Seattle, Santa Monica and New York. Girl Four is our fourth girl!
Extra:
We bought our boat in San Diego at the end of October 2012. Over the winter we concentrated on repairs, safety outfitting, and rigging for ease of handling - as well as making the boat our own. In the spring of 2013 we sailed Girl Four down the Baja coast to Cabo San Lucas, and continued into the [...]
Girl Four's Photos - Main
Los Mochis, El Fuerte, Copper Canyon, Creel and Chihuahua
No Photos
Created 24 December 2013
Albums of photos taken off and on Girl Four
No Photos
Created 25 November 2013