Change in Latitude, Change in Attitude

30 January 2008 | Moraga, Ca.
23 January 2008 | San Diego, Ca.
20 January 2008 | Pacific Beach, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | 7 Miles South of the San Diego/Tijuana Border
15 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
15 January 2008 | 100 MIles South of Ensenada
13 January 2008 | Isla Benitos
09 January 2008 | Bahia Santa Maria
08 January 2008 | 100 Miles South of Magdalena Bay
07 January 2008 | Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
06 January 2008 | Rounding Cabo Pulmo
05 January 2008 | La Paz, Mexico
25 December 2007 | Moraga, Ca.
15 December 2007 | Ensenada de Los Muertos, Mexico
10 December 2007 | Los Frailes, Mexico
05 December 2007 | Smack Dab' In The Middle
02 December 2007 | Mazatlan, Mexico
30 November 2007 | 128 Miles South of Mazatlan, 28 Miles Offshore
27 November 2007 | 15 miles Northwest of Manzanillo, Mexico

Exploring Coiba Island

21 September 2007 | Coiba, Panama
Andrew
After having a brief run-in with the local police patrol boat upon arrival, we've finally settled down on the southeast side Coiba Island, and it is gorgeous. Apparently we failed to properly "check in" with the park office before entering Coiba waters, so the police told us to head back to the office immediately. It was well after 3 pm at that point and the weather was starting to look somewhat bleak. We politely asked permission to check in the next day, but were told by the 3 militia-looking fellows this was not possible. Sweeeeeeet. They were all dressed similar to the Panama City immigration officer that didn't care for my shorts, bearing machine guns and all. I was a bit more concerned in this particular situation as the park police patrol these waters for poachers, Columbians, and drug traffickers, instead of enforcing a dress code at the local immigration office. So, we headed out for the park office which was a good 3 hours away. Of course the weather got worse and we were unable to navigate our way into the bay where the office is located. The rain and wind kicked up, and the visibility was next to nothing. We were forced to anchor behind a small island adjacent to the bay, and not check in as the gun-totting police told us to. We weren't sure if they would come looking for us, so we obviously didn't sleep too well that night.

We woke up at first light the next morning and made our way into the office, to be greeted by the most friendly bunch of Panamanians in the world! It was as if they were happy to see us and our interest in the island. We spoke to a nice man who spoke some English, paid our nominal fees, and headed back to the original anchorage. What a fiasco.

Coiba island was formally used as a penal colony, but has since been converted to a national park with protected rain forests, rivers, and coastline. It truly is a wild place with fruit trees lining the beaches (coconut, orange, grapefruit, passion-fruit), healthy coral reefs offshore, and best of all, wild crocodiles in the rivers! Obviously we had to get a closer look at the crocs, so we ventured up Boca Grande river this morning in the dingy. What a trip it was! We saw 3 wild crocodiles in their natural habitat, tons of wild birds, adolescent sharks, and gorgeous surrounding jungle and mangroves. The river runs almost 4 miles inland with many tributaries and fingers to explore. We spent almost 5 hours exploring the area, taking photographs, and wondering what was under the little rubber dingy. Fortunately the crocs we saw were 4-6 feet, so we weren't too terribly concerned. We did, however, see the tracks in the sand of what appeared to be two large ones.

Tomorrow we plan to head up a different nearby river in search of more crocs and possibly visit the ruins of the penal colony. Hopefully all the prisoners made it off the island because I'm not about to give up my berth, and surely not split our already dwindling beer and milk supply. I simply won't do it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: 46 ft Nautor Swan
Crew: Andrew Roberts
About:
After working in the insurance industry for 4 years, I jumped at the opportunity to join Cisnecito, a 46 foot Nautor Swan. She currently lays in Colon, Panama preparing for her last extended cruise back to Newport, Ca. [...]

Checked Out and Headed to Central America

Who: Andrew Roberts