Change in Latitude, Change in Attitude

30 January 2008 | Moraga, Ca.
23 January 2008 | San Diego, Ca.
20 January 2008 | Pacific Beach, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | 7 Miles South of the San Diego/Tijuana Border
15 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
15 January 2008 | 100 MIles South of Ensenada
13 January 2008 | Isla Benitos
09 January 2008 | Bahia Santa Maria
08 January 2008 | 100 Miles South of Magdalena Bay
07 January 2008 | Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
06 January 2008 | Rounding Cabo Pulmo
05 January 2008 | La Paz, Mexico
25 December 2007 | Moraga, Ca.
15 December 2007 | Ensenada de Los Muertos, Mexico
10 December 2007 | Los Frailes, Mexico
05 December 2007 | Smack Dab' In The Middle
02 December 2007 | Mazatlan, Mexico
30 November 2007 | 128 Miles South of Mazatlan, 28 Miles Offshore
27 November 2007 | 15 miles Northwest of Manzanillo, Mexico

Playing Around in Playa Del Coco

06 October 2007 | Playa Del Coco, Costa Rica
Andrew
Not 10 minutes after I posted my last blog, Chris came down below and said, "Alright, let's pack up and go". So, we didn't necessarily wait for good weather before leaving Golfito as my post indicated. At the time, that was the plan, although I have ultimately realized that having plans, expectations, and schedules are virtually impossible while in transit via sailboat. So, control freaks, schedule-goers, and type A's alike should probably stay home because everything is constantly changing, regardless of the amount of planning and thinking ahead you put forth. This is certainly an exciting aspect of the trip, but also difficult at times too. For instance, I truly hadn't planned on leaving Golfito that soon and anxiously anticipated walking down the road that afternoon for an ice cream cone. A few days prior I coincidently, or just so happened, to randomly stumble upon the local ice cream stand (located 2 blocks off the main road, over the small bridge, and behind the yellow brick building) and was really looking forward to another peanut butter and chocolate cone. Obviously those plans melted away quicker than I could have eaten them.

As we left we showed off our hot-roding mariner skills by sailing off our anchor and put in a few quick tacks as the sleepy harbor town fell behind us. Unfortunately the weather was plain lousy the entire time with squally conditions, good-sized swells, and virtually no wind. We made it up the entire coast of Costa Rica staying anywhere from 2 to 50 miles offshore, although it wasn't the most pleasant passage we've had. The wind simply would not cooperate, so we motor sailed the majority of the way. The highlight of the trip was on the 2nd day, seeing a large feeding frenzy of dolphins and birds, approximately 30 miles off the coast. Large schools of small fish (as in hundreds of thousands, if not more) "ball together" as a defense mechanism. Fisherman refer to this phenomenon as a "bait ball" and search the oceans for this occurrence as it normally means larger fish (Tuna etc) and predators are going after the small bait fish. I first noticed some surface strikes about a mile ahead and numerous dolphins in the area. As we approached the bait ball we immediately realized the unique size and intense activity. Most of the bait balls I have scene have been anywhere from 5 to 20 feet in diameter and quite active on the surface with fish swarming the surface, jumping, and desperately trying to stay part of the school. The size of this particular bait ball combined with the many dolphins darting through the school was enough to impress Cousteau himself. At one time we could see upwards of 100 dolphins spread across an area half the size of a football field. They would jump up, dive down, and race through the water as they penetrated the bait and got their fill. We considered throwing our fishing lines in the water but feared hooking Flipper, so we watched in awe as we passed. I can only imagine what the spectacle looked like from below the surface.

We pulled into Playa Del Coco, shut the boat down, and went into town for a great lunch at a local restaurant. That afternoon we began cleaning up the boat and compiling cleaning and maintenance lists to keep us busy for the next several days, or until Julie, Kim, and Janelle arrive which we are both excited about. Chris is exceptionally animated these days because he gets to see his wife, while I'm ecstatic because my Braun electric toothbrush arrives.

The photo attached above is sunrise as we tucked in close to shore in northern Costa Rica. I enjoy the 4 am to 7 am watch as I get to witness a spectacular sunrise with a nice cup of coffee, which is a fine way to start a day.

Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: 46 ft Nautor Swan
Crew: Andrew Roberts
About:
After working in the insurance industry for 4 years, I jumped at the opportunity to join Cisnecito, a 46 foot Nautor Swan. She currently lays in Colon, Panama preparing for her last extended cruise back to Newport, Ca. [...]

Checked Out and Headed to Central America

Who: Andrew Roberts