Change in Latitude, Change in Attitude

30 January 2008 | Moraga, Ca.
23 January 2008 | San Diego, Ca.
20 January 2008 | Pacific Beach, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | 7 Miles South of the San Diego/Tijuana Border
15 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
15 January 2008 | 100 MIles South of Ensenada
13 January 2008 | Isla Benitos
09 January 2008 | Bahia Santa Maria
08 January 2008 | 100 Miles South of Magdalena Bay
07 January 2008 | Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
06 January 2008 | Rounding Cabo Pulmo
05 January 2008 | La Paz, Mexico
25 December 2007 | Moraga, Ca.
15 December 2007 | Ensenada de Los Muertos, Mexico
10 December 2007 | Los Frailes, Mexico
05 December 2007 | Smack Dab' In The Middle
02 December 2007 | Mazatlan, Mexico
30 November 2007 | 128 Miles South of Mazatlan, 28 Miles Offshore
27 November 2007 | 15 miles Northwest of Manzanillo, Mexico

Charming Mexican Fishing Village

14 November 2007 | Puerto Angel, Mexico
Andrew
After enjoying ourselves in Huatulco we packed up the boat and made a short northerly run to Puerto Angel. We spent the morning grocery shopping and tooling around in downtown Huatulco, yet still made it to Puerto Angel by sundown.

I imagine many of you are wondering just exactly how we figure out where to go, when to go, and our reasoning behind it all. To explain it in very simple terms: traveling the world by boat is somewhat like backpacking through Europe or Southeast Asia .you simply find yourself a good guidebook, do thorough research, and talk to as many people along the way. The guidebooks are quite similar to a "Let's Go" or "Lonely Planet" guide, although they provide specific information on the various ports, coastlines, and oceanic features. The books provide general navigational aid as well, although we do not rely on them as they are often times outdated, or just plain incorrect. Instead, we navigate with a complex GPS system that is fully integrated into the boat's computer system, which is located at the navigation station down below, mid-ship, starboard side (below the deck, on the right side, and toward the middle of the boat). At any given moment we can look at the computer, know our exact latitude/longitude position, view our boat on an electronic nautical chart, determine our heading (direction of travel over ground), tweak the autopilot, and best of all, watch a DVD at the same time. A nautical chart is essentially a map of the ocean showing depth, contours, hazards (rocks, reefs, shoals) among other items. We have two separate software systems that plot the boat on an electronic chart, which makes navigating fairly easy. I can essentially watch the boat move across the chart, zoom in or out for an alternative perspective, and determine if we are on course. In our free time we read through the guidebooks, figure out what looks fun or interesting, and determine distance, time, wind angles etc. We obtain detailed local weather information from a number of different sources, most of which are delivered to the boat's email account, which is ran through the single side band radio, also located at the navigation station. All of these items are compiled together to make it all happen. So, sailing up the coast of Central America is a multi-faceted operation, but the guidebooks play a fairly large role as we are always looking for the "cool spot".

We heard from other cruisers that Puerto Angel was a "charming little fishing village" and the guidebook indicated this as well. We generally take most information with a "we will see" attitude as we have stopped in places recommended by others that turned out to be polluted, dodgy, and sometimes even dangerous. But then again, the joy of traveling for me is not entirely the destination, but the adventure of getting there. Heading for new places, not knowing what lays in front of you, and making adjustments along the way is what makes life interesting to me. Each time we set off for a new island, village, or bay, a sense of excitement and anticipation can be felt aboard Cisnecito. Our strong pressed coffee probably does have some influence as well. The guidebook and recommendations about Puerto Angel were spot on, and in a big way.

The quaint little village sits in a beautiful small bay with enough room for 3 or 4 sailboats to anchor safely. We were the only sailboat in the bay, so we shared the clear water with the local fishing boats. There are two small beaches separated by a rocky section which provide great swimming and snorkeling. Chris and I snorkeled on the outer rocks yesterday afternoon while Julie kayaked the various parts of the bay and coast. In the morning we checked in with the port captain (so the authorities know our vessel's name etc.) and walked around town. There is little tourism in Puerto Angel, so everyone is extremely friendly and nice. I walked to the market in search of an ice-cream cone (pistachio nut and chocolate) and found nothing but smiles and informal "Hola Amigos!" from the locals walking around town. I wandered around for a bit and talked to a few fishermen, all of which were happy to tell me about the local waters. Puerto Angel is clean, safe, and a gem of the Oaxaca coast. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an authentic Mexican fishing village. It is just 26 miles north of Huatulco, so getting there could be quite easy for an adventurous spirit.

Although we would have enjoyed staying a bit longer, we are now moving on to Puerto Escondido, known for its world class surfing. And much to our luck, an international surfing competition starts tomorrow, so I should probably go and wax up the board. My goal is to convince just one tourist that I am here for the competition .and favored to win the entire thing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: 46 ft Nautor Swan
Crew: Andrew Roberts
About:
After working in the insurance industry for 4 years, I jumped at the opportunity to join Cisnecito, a 46 foot Nautor Swan. She currently lays in Colon, Panama preparing for her last extended cruise back to Newport, Ca. [...]

Checked Out and Headed to Central America

Who: Andrew Roberts