S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Merry Christmas

10 February 2014 | Staniel Cay
EVS: Delightful!
We have had no real connectivity for over a week, hence our blogging has fallen by the wayside. We departed Spanish Wells on January 26 and sailed to Alice Town in Hatchet Bay Pond on the west coast of Eleuthera. There, we took a 5 mile dinghy ride back north to Gregory Town to visit a delightful gift store and where we happened upon a small shop selling vegetables, herbal medicines, souvenirs, and surf boards. From Hatchet Bay, we motored (no wind) to Governor's Harbor were we were greeted by Patti with an invitation to come for cocktails - we barely had the anchor down, but readily said yes. We learned she is a marine biologist, single handing her 36' Pearson sailboat, with intentions to buy a more solid vessel in which to sail across the Pacific. Thence, we sailed to Rock Sound, where Steve and Mary Ann (from our boat yard) caught up with us) and we had a delicious grouper dinner ashore.

On January 31, Living Well and Gratitude crossed Exuma Sound to the Exumas (the water is over a mile deep out there - awe inspiring). We anchored behind Warderick Wells at Emerald Rock. En route into the Exumas, we checked out Little Cistern, a secluded anchorage with room for one or two boats - already taken, alas. From Emerald Rock, we parted ways with Living Well, which pulled into Sampsons Cay to see the current status (closed), and Gratitude heading to Staniel Cay to reprovision and pick up company. Gary and Liz (a classmate of Lauren's from Skidmore) for about a week. Gary and Liz have a 41' Concordia yawl on LI Sound and are considering purchasing a cruising sailboat. We invited them along to see what the life is like.

The first day, we headed outside and sailed north to Cambridge Cay. En route, we had problems with our jib furling gear, so Gary and Van brainstormed a fix for that. Cambridge is part of the Exuma Land and Sea Park and has wonderful snorkeling (at the Sea Aquarium) nearby. Among other activities, we were able to introduce Liz and Gary to a sundowner (cocktail) party on a sand atoll where they got to meet other cruisers and learn their stories. Departing Cambridge, we had a great sail on the banks, but the wind was coming from where we wanted to go, so we did not make as much time heading south as intended and we dropped the hook in Black Point, where we reunited with Steve and Mary Ann on Living Well. With the wind still in our teeth the next morning, we motored to Little Farmers Cay where we hoped to enjoy the 5Fs - First Friday in February Festival at Little Farmers Cay. We had heard of the 5Fs for several years, but never attended so decided to this year. Anticipating a large crowd, we had reserved a mooring from Ocean Cabin. On arrival, we found all moorings taken. We called Terry Bain, who pointed us to the right mooring, we identified the vessel, and Terry advised them they had to leave the ball as we had it reserved. We felt badly, but it was not our fault.

While there are some activities at the 5Fs that are rather juvenile (men's sexy leg and buns contest, wet T-shirt contest, plunger contest (don't ask)), the best part was watching the preliminary races among the native craft. The boats are in three classes - all the same design, but Class A is the largest, Class B next, and Class C the smallest. These were the Class C vessels and there were 12 of them. The boats are well over-canvassed with booms virtually 1 ½ times as long as the boat, and mast heights accordingly. In order to keep them upright, the boats are fitted with two planks cross-wise on which men sit well to windward to try to keep the boats from tipping over. When the vessel is to come about and head on a different tack, the men scramble off the boards, slide them across the boat, and scramble out to the other end. It takes a lot of coordination to avoid a sorry result. They are so graceful and FAST!

Saturday morning, we had to head north to Staniel Cay to deposit Liz and Gary at the airport for their return home to CT (where winter storms had dumped snow and more was forecast). The winds still were from the south, so, with extra crew on board, we decided to fly the spinnaker we bought each other for Christmas. It turned out to be quite straight-forward (with a sock over the sail lifted when one is ready to fly it) and flown as an asymmetric sail. While Gratitude came with a spinnaker, the colors were just awful for the blue hull. So, we sold that last year and acquired the new one. We loved the sail and the sailing! Merry Christmas to us!

We pulled into Staniel Cay to refuel and take on water and there was not enough time to remove from the dock, anchor, drop the dinghy, and ferry Liz and Gary ashore, so we bid farewell to them at the dock and they took a "taxi" to the airport - a golf cart. We waved good-bye and motored around the corner to Big Major's Spot and are anchored off Pig Beach - where the wild pigs and chickens roam, awaiting visitors to bring them hand-outs. From here, we will go to Black Point to do laundry and then start the trek south to the Jumentos Cays and Ragged Islands, an area entirely new to us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT