S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Buenavista

01 March 2016
After several weeks anchored at Hog Cay and in Southside Bay on either side of Duncan Town, we began our trek north, both because our time is running short and because a weather window was coming for which we needed to seek shelter. The day after the Valentine’s Day party, about 18 of the 24 boats left, and then we were down to three and time to move on. We traveled about 12 miles north to anchor in the bay created at the south end of Buenavista Cay behind Low Water Cay. We were the only boat there the first day, but then two others, followed by a third, arrived over the course of the next couple of days. While there, Rita, from Magic, took Van hunting and he learned better techniques to get down to the coral heads, search for lobster and fish, and enjoy the process. (Unfortunately, all he caught was a puffer fish that blew up like a spiny basketball. Fortunately, the wound was not serious and the animal lived to tell the tale.)
When the winds clocked more to the northeast and east, we moved around to the west coast of Buenavista for a more settled anchorage. We visited Edward Lockhart, the sole inhabitant of the island (well, if you do not count his sheep, goats, geese, chickens, pheasants, and dogs), who continues to claim the island as his family lands. (We are not sure how that is supposed to work, but evidently to make the claim, one must live on the lands.) Edward loves it there – very much like Swiss Family Robinson – and ekes out a simple existence while his wife (24 years his junior) lives and works in Nassau. Yvette, whom we met at the Valentine’s Day party, claims she will be able to live on the island once she retires in a few more years, but that is hard for us to comprehend given the “rustic” nature of Edward’s home, which still lacks a roof. There is no arguing the beauty of the place (it is indeed a lovely view), and that, not to mention Edward and Yvette’s son, may come to figure in the decision. We will have to stay tuned to learn more!
On our last day at Buenavista, Rita and Will invited us to “lunch” aboard Magic. Both were born in Germany (Rita in Bremen, near the area from where Van’s family emigrated, and Will in Berlin), but have lived all their adult lives in the US. During a prior occasion, we got to discussing German food, and Rita invited us over for a dinner of kale, pinklewurst, ham, and boiled potatoes. It was delicious! Of course, it did not hurt being topped off by Lauren’s apple crisp, vanilla ice cream, and coffee. Good conversation completed the event.
Finally, this morning we watched a glorious sunrise, hoisted the anchor, and set sail toward Water Cay. From there, we will head to Long Island and begin easing our way back into civilization. We are not sure we want to as the people and these islands are so lovely. We hope to return!
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT