S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Time

27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
EVS
Time dimensions; are there any? Some say no, that time just is -- here, there, everywhere. Others say time is linear; that is, a straight line without variation or deviation. (Of course, that implies at least two dimensions.). Others speak of time as having multiple dimensions that accelerate, expand, or contract, depending upon the speed at which one travels. We think of time as relative, not as in Einstein’s theory correlated to speed, but to one’s attitude and condition in life.

We have experienced time moving exceedingly slowly when times are hard, when life seems unfair, when someone is in pain or just plain unhappy. In contrast, when we are happy and content, time flies by. It is then that we wish time would go more slowly (and, in contrast, when things are not going so well, we wish we could hurry time along).

This all came to mind when we stopped in Water Cay in the Berry Islands. We had completed a long crossing (from Marathon, FL to Great Harbor Cay in the northern Berry Islands of the Bahamas – 29 hours) and spent the night at Great Harbor Cay on January 26. Because the weather was forecast to deteriorate (and it did) within a few days, we decided to depart Great Harbor after only one day, not the two or three we had planned. The wind was from the East/Northeast and blowing about 15 knots when we left Great Harbor. As we rounded the top of the Berries, with all sails flying, we first headed directly into the wind and then, as we turned more southerly, we were on a beam reach southbound along the east coast of the Berry Islands. The islands are off the beaten track, largely uninhabited, many are private, and all are lovely. We experienced one of the best sails of our trip this year, making well over 7 knots. Because Water Cay is about halfway to Nassau, and the day was getting on, we decided to pull in and anchor (as had about 12 boats before us). We pulled in, found a spot, and dropped the hook near Bert and Prue, on Exuberant, who had left Marathon about a week before us. (We had been planning to cross with them to the Bahamas, but our boat issues kept us back. We were happy to catch up with them, if only to chat over the radio.) The sunset was spectacular and we recounted our first visit to Water Cay (when we had it almost to ourselves). When was that, we wondered? It turns out that we had been to Water Cay about 7 years before and it seemed like only yesterday. (The photograph shows the Department of Homeland Security decals we secure each year before leaving the United States. They act sort of like “passports” for Gratitude so that, when we return to the USA, we can report both us and our vessel returning from out of the country.)

We decided we must be enjoying ourselves, and have been for many years aboard Gratitude (this is our 9th season). We are most grateful that we have had this time to enjoy – the boat, each other, the beautiful environment we live in, and the friends we have met and shared during our time aboard. It is our hope that our contentment and happiness continues, but we sure would like the time to slow down a bit so we can enjoy it longer!
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT