S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

LBO, Don’t Leave Home Without It!

13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
EVS?Overcast and arming
During one of my (Van’s) wakeful hours, I remembered that our Local Boaters Option cards had to be updated because I have a new passport, which is linked to the LBO account. The LBO program is very helpful as it pre-registers boaters (e.g. Lauren and me) and one’s vessel (e.g. Gratitude) for foreign travel so that, when one returns to the USA, one does not have to report in person to a Customs and Border Patrol/Department of Homeland Security Office, which a few and far between (although they make it very clear they may require a personal visit) to “clear in”. Once one returns to US waters, one simply calls an 800 number, reports current position, and answers some pertinent questions, and is set to go (hopefully).

The last time a passport changed (Lauren’s) we had to go to the Port of Miami (and impose on a friend to drive us to the CBP office) to update our LBOs. It took the better part of half a day for perhaps 10 minutes of computer time. Hoping to avoid that, we checked our cruising guide for nearby offices and found one in Fernandina Beach, FL. We called and found we could walk to the CBP office from the waterfront. Because we were a day north of Fernandina, we decided to travel on the ICW (as opposed to in the ocean) and stop in. Somewhat easier said than done: the municipal marina was trashed in a hurricane and under re-construction, another nearby marina had no available space, and a fuel dock would not allow a transient stop (we even offered to buy fuel, but their 200 gallon minimum swamped our 25 gallon requirement). So, we anchored, dropped the dinghy and rigged the outboard for a quick run into town. What a cute spot! Lovely shops and restaurants that would be worth a stop — maybe when the municipal marina is up and running!

Van (as the Captain) walked to the CBP office and was well attended by the young officer there. All the SBP staff we spoke with were most helpful! All was accomplished and we were back underway (with the outboard and dinghy back aboard) in the space of an hour and a half. We continued down the ICW and are anchored just north of the Sister’s Creek bridge and the St. John’s River. The forecast is for rainy and nasty weather, so we may sit here, continue on in the ICW if not too bad, or go outside of the forecast is plumb wrong.

In any event, we are all set with up-to-date LBOs, so now we can leave home!
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT