graynorth

16 September 2014 | Lac-en-Coeur, Quebec
11 November 2012 | Green Turtle Cay
29 October 2012 | Ottawa
09 October 2012 | Ottawa
14 May 2012 | Ottawa, Canada
23 April 2012 | Echo Drive
18 March 2012 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay
08 March 2012 | Hopetown Harbour
04 March 2012 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2012 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay
08 January 2012 | Abacos Bahamas
27 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
26 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
22 December 2011 | Elbow Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
19 December 2011 | Marsh Harbour
17 December 2011 | Marsh Harbour
14 December 2011 | Hopetown Harbour
13 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
04 December 2011 | Abacos Bahamas
02 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas

Lots of weather

14 December 2009 | Manjack Cay
Hot and humid! close to 90F
Due to the cloudy weather, the solar panels are not doing much, so we've started the generator an hour a day to top up the batteries so that the freezer remains cold. The higher winds (45kph) have also made Louise nervous about the anchor and she has trouble sleeping with dreams of broken anchor chains, snapped bridle ropes... boat drifting into the rocks.... So, I spent a couple of hours yesterday installing a 12V lighter socket in the forward cabin (bedroom) so that we can plug in our portable Garmin GPS, zoom into our current location, set the anchor alarm to 50' and comfortably watch the boat swing bank and forth in the heavy gusts of wind, knowing that the anchor is secure. She slept somewhat better last night, but still got up at 3am in order to collect some of the rainwater into our starboard water tank. I spent the afternoon working with my daughter Michelle on establishing the proper dimensions for a major support beam in the farmhouse. The original second floor joists were 2x6 spruce spaced at 24" centres with the result that over a 20 foot span they have dropped 4" in the centre. A new beam will be needed to be installed to support the second floor and eliminate the 4" drop across the second floor. Michelle installed a 6X8" laminated beam (made from 2x8 spruce) but after an couple of hours, it sagged and then broke under the load.... lot's of fun! Manjack Cay enjoys the company of free range chickens which provide eggs and meat for the island and keep the grass short and well groomed.... The sun is expected tomorrow for a couple of days, so that should solve the low battery problem.

The sun arrived as expected this morning, but the wind died completely so the no-see-ems are back.

The solar panels are working hard to keep up, but it might take a couple of days to totally top them up.

The work on the guages has commenced with initial results quite positive, although it would help if I had a wiring diagram of the boats electrical system.

Louise is baking bread and a Rummikub tournament is being planned. We'll sail south to New Plymouth when the wind allows it, and drop of our garbage and restock the cupboards with food.

Life is grand and we're falling into a daily routine adjusted for the weather which seems to be predominant east winds with a cold front blowing in every 5-8 days to stir things up, and ensure you're on your toes for the sudden wind shifts and re-anchoring requirements.

Camping at it's best!
I hope everyone has completed their Christmas shopping!

glen
Comments
Vessel Name: Graynorth
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
Crew: Louise Simonson
About: My best friend, lover and wife!