Exuma Land & Sea Park
06 April 2012 | Waderick Wells Cay
83 degrees & windy
Well... it's been awhile since we have been able to update our blog, so I'll summarize where we have been. We left Spanish Wells almost a month ago after waiting nearly six weeks for the dinghy parts. We went through Current Cut in over 24 kt of wind and successfully made our way to Hatchet Bay, midway down the western coast of Eleuthera. We spent a week there at anchor, waiting for the squalls and over 30 kts of wind to die down. Two Brothers lunches were a welcome distraction. Very wet dinghy rides! Next, we went to Governor's Harbor to hit the bank and only spent one night anchored there, becaused the holding is so poor. It was light winds, but the next few days were predicted to blow again! A pretty town to walk about. Off to Rock Sound to wait out the next blow and squalls. Also a very accomodating area for cruisers. Great anchorage and lots of dinghy docks to use. A great restaurant at the northern dinghy landing. Supermarket convenient and life was good. When we left Rock Sound we traveled through Davis Channel, I had to stay on the bow to watch for coral heads and the shallows. We arrived at Powell Point and went into Cape Eleuthera Yacht Club to take on water, fuel and use their wi-fi for preparing taxes. Surprise, surprise their wifi wasn't working. So, we enjoyed the gorgeous settiing, ate at the nice restaurant and Newton got to romp! We crossed Northern Exuma Sound into Ship Channel Cut and proceeded to an anchorage on the southwest side of Ship Channel Cay in the Northern Exuma Islands. Very little wind and good holding. The next day, we were off south to Highbourne Cay Marina because their Wi-fi was working! Well, it was and it wasn't working. Finally they rebouted the server and around 7 PM we could log on and pay bills and prepare our taxes, I finished just before midnight! Another gorgeous place, but didn't really get a chance to enjoy it. When we left Highbourne Cay the winds were blowing 28 kts and the seas were 4-8 feet, and the current was stong! Greg gave us an up close and personal realtionship with a shifting sandbore (thud, thud, thud) doing a "shortcut" between waypoints. The winds are supposed to keep blowing until Monday, chance of thunderstorms and squalls, with a 50 % chance of 50-60 kt winds tonight, so we had to find a hidey hole somewhere. We lucked out, and were able to get a mooring ball at Waderick Wells Cay In the Exuma Park. We are fairly protected here. And they have wifi! However, I was surprised I could even log on to this site. They told us they didn't have enough "juice" to use Skype and social networking sites were blocked. We did get to email some family and friends, but believe me that was painfully slow. It is beautiful here, we need to explore and take pictures and relax.