Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

A fresh start

14 July 2010 | Brussels
OK - I've got some time to spare, so here's the promised write-up of our first proper sail in a long time.

We sorted the logistics (getting to/from Fox's) by scrounging another ride. Once on board first job was getting the genoa on. The new Harking furling gear having been installed last Thursday. Certainly looks the business - vast improvement over the aged Selden which seemed to gives us trouble at the most inappropriate moments.

In the mean time, Steps familiarized herself with every nook and cranny of the boat. The flapping of the headsail seemed to unsettle her for a bit but as we all acted as if nothing had happened she soon settled down. I'm confident she'll turn into a proper seadog given time.

Out of the marina on freeflow - it doesn't get any easier than that. Once out on the Stour we hoisted the main and set course for Ipswich. Unfurled the genoa as we rounded Shotley Spit - finished with engines - heaven.
The next hour and a bit turned into the most pleasant sail in a long, long, long time. Wind hovered around the 15kts mark (occasional gusts over 25kts). Very big grins all over the place. The Orwell Bridge came much too soon. Dropped sails, parked the boat and civilized traditional Sunday lunch.
Hopefully, the first proper sail of many more this year.

In the mean time, I've heard from the yard: the battery charger 'problem' turned out to be a software problem (between my ears). Note to self: things tend to work better when you switch them on.
So that just leaves the prop pitch and the autopilot ram. From what feedback I have received everybody's getting on with the job.
Counting the days/hours till Friday. Off to the boat straight after work.

One last point, I was very pleased to be sailing with a full compliment. Having the entire family there made the boat feel all the more like home. Steps is still settling in and 'finding her feet' and the kids had a right proper teenage moan as usual, but apart from that.... They all acted like a 'crew' - not a raised voice, no arguments, ... Week-ends like they used to be.

Most of important of all, I got the distinct impression than Brigitte is more confident on board. Instead of just undergoing events, she anticipates them without any prompting, points out things I have overlooked etc ... A switch has been flicked, it's her boat too.
Our shared dream of sailing off into the sunset is one step closer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009