Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Off to Holland

11 March 2006 | Rotterdam, Bruinisse
Next on our list was the Contessa 43. She was berthed in Rotterdam. Booked a WE overnight ticket on the Eurotunnel, and we were ready to get going.
We had viewed her in August last year. Like Token, she was in a bit of a state, but again I believed that elbow grease and TLC would do the trick. She had already been up for sale for three now, so the seller should be getting desperate by now. A possible bargain was to be had.

As we were going to Holland anyway, Brigitte thought we might as well look at some others while we were there. I love it when she gets all sensible like that. She spent another week scouring the internet and came up with a couple of useful leads. Top of the list: an Adams 44. An Australian built centreboarder - heavy & big. She had already been round the world and listed some of the cruising kit you would expect. There was a voyage blog - would read it later.

Another 'possible' was a Kalik 44. Looked good, but at EUR 120,000 WAY out of our league. She had been put up for sale the previous week, so I expected the owner to be very reluctant to drop the price. Oh well, could do some tyre kicking I suppose.

The trip over was uneventful, downright boring even. The Nokia mobile with inbuilt satnav I got of eBay proved to be just the thing.
First on our list was the Contessa 43. She looked even worse than she did last year, Brigitte wasn't impressed then, and neither were the kids now. Owner oozed desperation, she might not be ideal, but we could make her so. Chatted some more with the seller and nearly agreed on a price, but Brigitte and the kids were eager to move on. I refused to dismiss her outright. We would see.

Next to Bruinisse to view the Adams 44. Went to the broker to pick up the keys. The equipment list had changed somewhat. The waterwaker, windvane self-steering and SSB radio had already been sold separately. I had read on their blog that she had been on the rocks off the Channel Islands - the keel showed the marks. I was afraid this would have an impact on the centreboard lifting mechanism.
Down below she looked unloved and was stripped bare. For a 44 footer she felt remarkably cramped down below as well. No - not even if you paid me.

So, it's the Contessa then? The family wanted to have a look at the Kalik since we were there anyway. It started snowing and I was in no mood to waste anymore time, fearful of the impact of the snow on the traffic. It was a long trip back!
'Oh well, get the keys from the broker and we might have a quick look to stop you all moaning!'

I had a quick look round on deck - rigging, sails, teak deck, etc� - whilst the family disappeared down below. When I finally joined them I was met with a unanimous 'Dad, we're buying this one!' I must admit, she looked fine. Lovely, all teak, interior obviously built to a very high standard. Roomy and comfortable, but alas unaffordable.

As luck would have it, the owners came on board. They had some stuff to leave on board. We chatted for a while: what have you done, why are you selling, etc�
Lovely couple: 74 & 71 years old. The boat was getting too big for them to handle on their own. She cried.

Driving back the family chatted enthusiastically about the Kalik, even discussed sleeping arrangements. I had only one thing on my mind: we can't afford her!

Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009