Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Hibernation & frustration

30 April 2012 | Hemel Hempstead
To blog or not to blog? These last to months the answer seems to have been: not to blog. None the less, they have been an interesting and busy few months.

Boat/sailing wise the last few weeks have been frustrating. Our plans have mainly been thwarted by the weather. We found ourselves either adrift in the sun, reefing like mad in +25kts squalls, going to windward in horizontal rain or dodging hailstorms. Sometimes all on the same day. The weekly trips up to the boat became a chore instead of something to be enjoyed. Not a good sign.
Last weekend’s trip even got cancelled altogether. The journey to/from the boat is a 200 mile round trip – diesel’s not exactly cheap at the moment – and frankly, I didn’t think it was worth it given the forecast. A new low.
As luck would have it, we’ve had 2 weeks of very good sailing weather in the last few months. The first week I was working and the second week we were abroad.

The boat’s ready to go, and yet lately I’ve been more frustrated than ever. With the weather, with our cruising ground (big fish – small pond), with a lack of time, ... I think I will own a boat till the day I drop,, because I’m in love with the freedom owning a boat affords you. There is no limit to what you can’t do or places where you can’t go – beyond the horizon, there’s always another horizon.
Yet, all the planning and dreaming will only get you so far. Time to enjoy what we’ve worked for all the years would be good – right now would be even better. I’m all for (extended) foreplay, but at some point I do want to fuck.

My sailing itch needs scratching, and it needs scratching soon. Last week (or even this week) was to have been the week of our first Channel crossing. Either with crew (last week) or single-handed (this week). It wasn’t and isn’t to be, Spring’s regressed back to Winter.
I stumbled across an old video clip of my fist (and so far only) single-handed Channel crossing a few years ago. The memories and feeling of accomplishment came flooding back. More please. And possibly sooner than anticipated as Brigitte’s Summer leave has been drastically cut short by her employer. Only a few more years of that though.

On a more positive note: the shore based half of our cruising life is now well on track. We are now the proud/lucky owners of a little cottage in Brittany. As we’re in the final stages of refitting the boat, we have a house makeover to look forward to. Hopefully we’ll be able to apply lots of ‘lessons learned’ and not make the same mistakes again (or come up with a whole batch of new mistakes).

I love the house, I can picture us growing old disgracefully there without a care in the world. And right on the doorstep of a new, beautiful and exciting cruising ground. We’re now on the waiting list for a mooring on one of the prettiest rivers in France. Looking forward to the move. It would be nice to have an opportunity to explore southern Brittany before we set off on our odyssey to new and distant shores.

So, yes: we do still sail the boat whenever possible and the blog still has a pulse. But the present state of near-hibernation may well continue over the next few weeks (mainly due to work). Next significant event on the agenda is the Oostende voor Anker maritime festival (25-28 May). This should(!!) herald the start of our Summer sailing season.

In the mean time, bear with us. Maybe, just maybe, it’ll all be worth it in the end.
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009