Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Ticking over

18 July 2014 | Leverstock Green
You might be thinking this blog is dying a slow death. You are wrong, but I can understand why you would think it. Not much activity lately.

So, just a quick ditty to put you in the picture. What have we been doing lately? To be honest, since the storm tossed trip to Ostend: not much. Life/reality and to a certain extend the weather have once again been messing with our sailing intentions.
A bunch of daysails and a few overnight mini-cruises in local waters – that’s about the extent of it. All very successful and enjoyable but not exactly the blue water adventure we had in mind when we bought the boat. That is to say: not yet.

At the moment I am resigned to the fact that the near future holds the same for us: cruising the UK East Coast with the occasional venture across the Channel to France and Belgium. Time and the availability of crew (and, of course, the weather) will to a large extent determine what is feasible.

Realistically speaking, things will remain that way till we can get a mooring in Brittany (we live in hope that 2015 could be the year). The move west will therefore be our next big venture.

Short term plans for the rest of the summer: another mini-cruise in local waters (Channel crossing WX permitting) to tame the Monitor windvane once and for all. It’s my first experience of a windvane autopilot and it’s not proving as intuitive as I had hoped.

A two week cruise to Normandy is also on the cards. We’ll see what the weather gods throw at us, but the plan is to get to St Valery-en-Caux and back. We’ve done this before and it has always proven to be a realistic target for the given timeframe.

What has given me a certain amount of satisfaction so far is that all my ‘bright ideas’ for improvements to the set-up of the boat have in fact paid off. The way we now rig the gennaker in particular seems to be a great success. I had planned to be able to launch/fly and recover the sail singlehandedly (not tried it yet), but with just me and Yanni as crew it worked a charm. Launch and recovery took no more than five minutes. Given the size of the sail and the boat, I am well pleased with that.

The solar panels we installed last year still keep churning out the amps faster than we can use them. Certainly since we switched to all-LED for interior and navigation lighting. The biggest drain on the battery bank is still the stone-age fridge (to be replaced as and when funds become available – therefore: not any time soon).

Consider yourself up-to-date. I’ll do my best to provide more regular updates. In the mean time, enjoy your season. We certainly intend to.

PS: I have now added a ‘Summer 2014’ folder to the Gallery – Enjoy!
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009