Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Good to go

31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
Well, the boat is slowly coming out of hibernation so it's time for another update. It's been a busy few weeks. Lots to report and it's mostly good news.

All of the items on our winter 'to do' list have been crossed out. I've reported some of them in previous entries, but here's a summary anyway:

- The DSC VHF has been reprogrammed with the correct MMSI. About time.
- The leaks in the tender have been filled and the rubber rubbing streak - which had become unstuck in places - has been re-glued. Full credits to Yanni.
- The outboard engine did pass its test with flying colours. It's impossible to kill that thing. Fuel is still good.
- The inboard diesel has been serviced. Some remarks regarding this. For the first 3 years (warranty period) I had the engine serviced by a 'recognised agent'. This was the first year we serviced the engine ourselves and what do we find? The anode has NEVER been changed - and now it was completely gone. So much for 'recognised agents'.
Also, when the engine was installed they had conveniently hidden the raw water inlet strainer. Out of sight is out of mind and I really hadn't given the thing much thought till I rediscovered the it when installing the new cabin heater last week. Good thing too - not quite clogged, but as good as. Potential disaster later in the season averted.
- The new Webasto heater has been installed. As with everything boat related, it took longer and did cost a bit more than anticipated but I am quite pleased with the result. It's so nice to have a heated boat again.
Note for Webasto: you might want to consider manufacturing extension leads for your wiring loom. The provided 4.2m didn't cut it - at all. If you sell units to suit a boat up to 46', the wiring loom should be of an appropriate size.
- Last year we switched to LED navigation lights. By the end of the season, the forward port/starboard lights started acting up. When I opened them up, both LED bulbs were heavily corroded. Not surprising really, considering their rather exposed position on the pulpit. So, I've now invested in two (one red, one green) waterproof LED bulbs. They were about three times the price of a normal LED bulb but hopefully they should last longer than one season. Time will tell.
- Finally, the deck has had its annual scrub; the boat has had a good clean down below and bedding also back aboard.

The only let down was the Raspberry Pie based chart plotter Yanni promised to build for me. Despite the not inconsiderable cash investment in parts on my part, I have yet to see anything closely resembling a working unit. He's got other priorities right now (college), but the last word has not yet been said on this subject.

What's next? We still have to take the life raft back to the boat, but other than that we're good to go. Fuel tank could do with some topping up, but as we're not planning to go anywhere in the near future that can wait for another couple of weeks. We're also moving the boat onto her swinging mooring on Thursday.
The marina informed me today that there are already a couple (suitable for our size) which have been serviced and/or replaced. We need to do this now, as I will have very little free time in the next 5/6 weeks.
Work schedule looks very busy for the immediate future: week on/week off till at least the middle of May. Things will hopefully ease after that.

Only thing still to arrange before we sail away for summer is a quick lift/hold and drop to change the anodes (prop and pro shaft) and a quick pressure-wash. Hopefully some time in May.

That's all there's to it. No boat or sailing related excitement on the horizon. But we must crack on - time and tide wait for no man.
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009