Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Kite flying

26 August 2007 | River Orwell
One of my aims this summer (any summer really) is to fly the kite (spinnaker) at least once. Up till now we had been unsuccessful - either due to no wind, wind from the wrong direction or too much wind.

We had planned to spend the End of Summer Bank Holiday cruising to the Deben. Real life (a dinner appointment on Friday) interfered. To cross the Deben Bar we would have had to leave before 7 in the morning. No, thank you. A daysail on Saturday would have been pointless too - no wind - at all! As Brigitte was working on Monday, that only left Sunday.

The forecast said N-NW 2-3. Just the ticket. Rig as much as possible whilst still on the mooring. Drift downriver (main only) till Shotley Spit and then start hoisting the kite and it would be pretty much downhill from there. Landguard and Medusa. Possibly a beat up to Cork Sand and back in from there. That was the plan; but as usual...

We left home about ten. Drive up the A12 took a bit longer than usual - I guess more people wanted to take advantage of the nice weather (for once). We had reports, from people lucky enough to be out there already, of a very nice N 3.
We launched Guapi dead on HW. And we didn't even bother to put our oilies on. Not a ripple on the Orwell and not much wind. The river sure was busy - it felt like we were crossing the M25.

Brigitte prepared lunch and the kids gave me a hand getting the kite and all its gear out. And there was just so much of it, and big. Yanita's spinnaker was just about manageable, but Guapa's in a different league altogether. We had it flying only once before - in January - in 2kts of wind. It didn't set too well, but I had wanted to make sure all the gear was there.

After a very quick lunch we were ready - kite (in snuffer) hoisted, sheets and downhaul rigged, boom - one heavy bastard - in place,... Good to go.
We let slip with minimum fuss and pointed Guapa downriver. And then... the wind shifted to dead on the nose. Something was not right here. Someone had seen us coming. Thinking on my feet: if it's on the nose downriver, it should make for perfect upriver sailing. So much for planning.

Brigitte by the helm, kids and I on the foredeck: let's get us flying! Two quick shouts, some agile maneuvering, snuffer up, finished with engines and relax. A thing of true beauty. Just a couple of knots of apparent wind, but the spinnaker set nicely. We were running dead downwind. From time to time the wind shifted 10 degrees either side, but I did not gybe the spinnaker - not with a boom that size.

We continued our merry way upriver without much fuss. It looked quite busy, lots of small racing boats about, but they did not bother us at all. Like Moses parting the Red Sea. It's a lot of work to set up, and a handful to control at times, but I find kite flying so very satisfying. It says something about boat and crew - great teamwork!



I had hoped to keep the kite up all the way to the Orwell Bridge, and we nearly managed it. Half a mile off the wind got a bit erratic and there was just too much traffic about. With some regret I started the engine and went forward to recover the kite. Brigitte and Yanni joined me - Evita was at the helm. Again, the minimum amount of fuss. Like we did this every day.
Downriver was all motoring, but I did not mind that much. That warm inner glow was still with me. We met Jolie Brise along the way - they had been unable to get us on camera, but were available for drinks later. So, not all bad then.

We had left Guapi on the mooring, and someone (me) had forgotten to tilt up the outboard. Bit if a tangled mess. First approach: drop off Evita in Guapa. She then untangled the mess. Second approach: pick up buoy and recover Number One child in Guapi. So, in all, it took five minutes more than it should have. My bad.

In celebration we cracked open a bottle of champagne. I had bought the bottle for a different occasion, but this was good too. A toast to "The Family" and that was it. Sit back, relax and watch the world go by. Yanni had a shot of champagne but quickly switched to Ice Tea. Evita was not too keen either - too grapy. Brigitte only had two glasses as she was driving. Guess who made the ultimate sacrifice?

Trip back ashore (with the last of the General Stores) supplies was uneventful. Tender recovered in no time, car loaded up and we were on our way home. A stop at Fox's first. We had a bottle of fine French rose to share. Courtesy of Le Shoppi in Dieppe.
Wine and beer on the good ship Jolie Brise. Last of the day's sun, in pleasant company. Not a bad day, not a bad day at all. Tastes like more - a lot more.
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009