Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Intense

04 May 2008 | North Sea
We rose about eight - a quick stop at the bakery and saying goodbye to the harbour master. The forecast said ESE 3 and for once it was bang on the money.

We had to delay our departure for a bit as we were stuck in the mud (LW). Since the eastern pier has been removed quite some silting has taken place - apparently the dredgers can't keep up. Never mind.

Motored out, cheery wave and that was it - see you in a couple of weeks.
Once outside the wind did disappoint - Guapa and light airs: not a match made in heaven. Pushing the tide, speed over the ground was a rather disappointing 2kts - 4kts with the engine running.

We were going to keep motorsailing till Westhinder, then we were going to have the kite up. No way was I going to put up with another 16 hours of motorsaling.

Westhinder came and went - time to get everything in place: boom, pull-up, pull-down, spinnaker sheets, jockey pole and last but not least, the kite in it's snuffer.

Everything rigged in record time, like riding a bike. At the 'moment supr�me' things got unstuck. Try as I might, the snuffer wouldn't go further up the halfway. Then it was spaghetti junction. Two times, three times, arrrgghh...
I was not going to be defeated by bits of string. Two of us on the foredeck we set about getting the kite out of the snuffer. I was going to hoist the thing, and that was that.
One hour later and it was up, in all it's glory. Sixty NM to go.

The feeling of satisfaction was immense. Boat speed picked up no end, over 6kts over the ground, pushing the tide and without the engine.
We all collapsed in a satisfied heap.



The TSS proved rather uneventful - although busier than two days ago. Apart from one, all merchantmen took the utmost care to steer well clear of us. Thanks - it helped a lot.

Then hours of nothing, just sitting back and relaxing. Decent speed, sails well set, what more could you want?



All in all it had been well worth the effort. Nothing gnaws at moral more than a painfully slow crossing.
When night fell we still had about 20NM ahead of us. What to do? Keep the kite up (no snuffer) or get it down and motor the rest of the way - slowly. A wise man would have recovered the kite, an idiot in a hurry would have left it up. No contest really - I left it up. We would address recovery when we got to it.

Our usual final approach is via Rough Towers and Cork Sands, not this time. With the kite up and in the dark I wanted to keep well clear of the big boys. Medusa and Landguard was far more sensible and safer, and the tide would carry us from Medusa onwards.
Reaching with the kite up and 16kts of apparent wind was pretty intense. Boat speed 8kts and rising.

I knew the textbook way of recovering a kite, but I wanted to try something new. My attempt at re-inventing the wheel. I would steer the boat just off the wind and the spinnaker should collapse on the foredeck where Brigitte and Evita could recover it.

All I can say folks, is: don't try this at home. As a plan it did not survive first contact with reality. At the helm, I found myself buried under quite a bit of spinnaker. I just managed to extract myself in time to notice Brigitte shouting 'Landguard dead ahead'. Disaster averted just in time - when we passed the buoy we could have stepped on it, we were that close. Hours of boredom and moments of sheer panic.

Navigating the Port of Felixtowe at night is always a bit of a challenge. The container terminal is lit up like a X-Mas tree. The navigation buoys are lost in the background. The new plotter proved it's worth.

Next stop: our mooring buoy. As was to be expected - a squatter had taken up residence. Our pick-up buoy seems to attract them like moths to a candle. I gave the 'offender' the searchlight treatment (12 million candelas - thank you Halfords). It did not take long for a rather sleepy head to appear. Credit to them; they were very civil about it and moved along in a matter of minutes. It's a risk you run. Picked up our buoy and all secured in no time. I would clean up on deck in the morning in daylight.
Quick cup of soup and off to bed, it had been a long day.

Whatever else we could have done this bank holiday weekend, it would have been boring compared to this. Before I nodded off I counted my blessings - what were the chances of ending up with a family like this one? Kite flying in the dark - having a family/crew like that's better than winning the lottery.
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009