Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Team building

05 July 2008 | Orwell / Stour
Recently I had been moaning about lack of crew commitment. Admittedly, the weather hasn't been all that great; but it's still a very poor excuse all the same.

My remedy - short of flogging - some team building. We were going to spend a night on board. Regardless of weather, timetables,... And everyone was under strict orders to enjoy themselves.
Quick dinner at home (wanted to avoid the worst of the traffic jams anyway) and we set off. Moods varied, but at least everyone was resigned to the inevitable. Might as well make the best of it.

Once on board, we all settled into our old routine. Bunks were cleared, duvets appeared, it started to feel like "home". Moral picked up, just one tiny dark cloud remained. But then again, as she's married to me that was chalked up to 'In sickness and in health... '. Kids seemed to enjoy themselves. We played a couple of hands of cards, and we even had fun. Yanni didn't manage to cheat and was gracious about it. All in all, the patient responded well to the medication.

Next morning we rose at the crack of 10 o'clock. WE after all. Breakfast - bacon sandwiches - and a quick tour on deck. Certainly plenty of wind. Big grin. SSW and never less than 15kts. A nice trip to Wrabness would provide that last final boost to moral.

Motorsailed to Shotley Spit - in the drizzle/rain. Crew sought shelter, leaving me to get soaked. Autopilot - full oilies. Just as I resurfaced - sun and blue skies. We headed up the Stour towards Wrabness. Wind picked up - hovering around 20kts. Best sail of the year so far. Grins all round. Horseplay in the sunshine. At one time we topped 9.3kts SOG. Even when taking into account the tide (about 1.2kts) with us... The old girl's no slouch when you give her enough wind.



Time just flew by. Wrabness in no time. Return trip - more of the same. A bit of running then wind on the aft quarter. A more sedate and civilised trip back up the Orwell. Enough adrenaline for one day.

Quick detour in the direction of Pin Mill and then back to our mooring. Blustery conditions. Yanni and me on the foredeck, Brigitte at the helm. First approach - left a bit, bit more, forward and stop. All secured in no time.

Then one of my favourite parts of the day. Family chat and drinks while basking in the sun and that 'been sailing' glow. Perfect end to a perfect day.

Ride back in the tender - surfing all the way. Trip home, excited voices all around. Moral barometer firmly on 'Sunny'. It's amazing what sixteen miles of sailing can do to a family.

No sailing next WE - visitors from Belgium. Plenty of time to plan this year's summer cruise.
Four weeks off as from July 19th. Friends usually have their summer cruise three weeks before ours. The smug so and so usually enjoys beautiful summer weather whilst we're left with showers and gales. Going by recent weather we're due lots of glorious sunshine and fair winds.
Can't wait.
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009