Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

My boat's gotten kinda chewy

01 August 2008 | Cherbourg
It's not much fun having to get out of bed at an ungodly hour to catch the tide. Never more so than when you're on holiday. Having run foul of the race once, I was not about to repeat my mistake.

The forecast SW6 was present, but at least it wasn't raining. Again I put in a reef before we set off - better safe than sorry. We ventured out and were met by a confused and very lumpy sea. I watched Brigitte turn bright green before my very eyes. Get your head down, we'll manage. It least it will be a quick passage. One minute Alderney was just behind us, the next it was a mere speck on the horizon.

And once we got into the swing of things, it was a quick passage. As we passed Cap de la Hague we clocked 11.7kts over the ground. Helped along by a generous 5.5kts of tide. Seastate improved and before long Cherbourg appeared.

First time in - binoculars ready. Anybody see the marina? There. Contacted the marina on VHF. Pick a spot on any of a number of pontoons. H pontoon for us - it's got the longest fingers. Hard to get decent finger pontoons in France.
Meanwhile the SW6 was still very much in evidence and didn't make the approach easy at all. Blown off the first time. Guess we mustn't have been the only ones as willing helping hands soon appeared. Thanks for that - I would have taken us some time without your help. As it was: Alderney mooring to Cherbourg pontoon in under three hours - that's pretty good going.

Marina staff very friendly and helpful. Then the Yacht Club restaurant for lunch - I was starving. Then a quick shave and a shower and I was ready for town. Lots of things happening: market and it appeared some kind of regatta was coming into town. Lots of stalls everywhere, bands would be on later tonight.
The city centre was quaint, but I could imagine it getting claustrophobic very quickly. Two days would be ample time there.

Yacht Club restaurant for dinner as well. Lunch had been good, dinner was even better. And I was keen to try the apple ice cream with Calvados desert. The waitress needed a clue as to which menu to bring us. It's not uncommon for the four of us to mix two or three languages when we talk to each other. In the end we settled for 2 English and 2 French menus. Dinner was lovely, and desert was like sex in a cup. Out of this world. I was tempted to order another one.

We didn't go to the concert as it was getting kind of chilly, but as the wind carried everything to the boat, we could hear most of it. A Franglais band - charming. What sounded like (according to Yanni) 'My boat's gotten kinda chewy' turned out to be 'I told him not to do it'. I like Yanni's version better.

Another day was spent bumming around town and the harbour. Shopping for food in France is never a chore. The local swindleries turned out to be quite expensive. Window-shopping only. I'm sorry we missed the Cit�e de la Mer museum, but it turned out to be quite pricy. We needed to start watching the pennies if we were to survive the rest of the holiday. There's always next time.

It looked like F�camp tomorrow. We'd last been there 5 years ago, and I wasn't too keen on the place. I had hoped to avoid it, but Snorky's demise dictated otherwise. What's a day?
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009