Final out of water Preps For Underway Fl.
30 April 2011
A cool 77 with winds of 10 to 15 knots.
Well the underway time for Florida is fast approching. I moved
"Gypsy Soul " from "Mustang Marina" to the "House of Boats" Boat yard today. I am glad that I had a friend (Craig) with me to help with lines to day. The wind was picking up as we left and I alomst caught the the dock as I backed out when the wind caught the stern and pulled around. As some of you may know...A sail boat does not back up for shit.
To top it off I had so many barnicals on the prop that I was losing power and really had to kick it in the ass. That is one of the reasons that I was pulling the boat for a final bottom check. I also needed to raise the water line a good 8" to 10".
When I originally got "GS" It was a bare bones boat....No engine installed...fuel tanks and Water tanks were never used...plus she never had all the equipment both electrical and deck items installed. n When I originally started rebuilding "GS" All I had was a hull, mast and small boom. Having a brain hic-up I used the old water line.
So after installing a new engine, a anchor windless, ice box, and all new topside equipment.......course the boat was going to ride deeper in the water. A LOT DEEPER...About ten inches lower.
Now I have to sand all the old paint off...prep it and then repaint it. If you check out my photos you will see a section for the April 29th haul out and see just how bad the bottom sides were where there was no bottom paint. I had just launched her a little over a year ago and where there was bottom pain the was nothing but a little green slime. Not one barnacles any where to be found. BUT where the boat did not have any bottom paint......It was covered with Heavy barnacles and sea growth.
While I have "GS" out I am going to change Three overboard plastic discharges to Brass and install another depth finder up nearer the bow. I have one but it is further back towards the stern. Because if this I could be aground before I new it. This new depth sounder is incorporated with my Garmin GPS so It is in front of me at all times, where the other one I have to lean way over to read it if I am seated on the Stbd side.
Another thing that I just completed was installing to wash boards to the port and starboard side. To these I have installed straps for three 5 gallon reserve jerry cans on each side. This will give me an extra 25 gallons of diesel fuel for the engine and 5 gallon of gas for my Honda 2000i .generator. We also installed two PVC 4" pipes about four feet long on the stern rail. Since I am not set up for butane cooking, each one of the tubes will whole 4 one pound butane camping cans for use with my grill. I have also included pictures of these two installed item in the photo section.
If I have time I will also touch up the varnish and the deck paint. I am sure that there is other items that I will find that need to be done while I am hauled out....But the list is really very short and hope it stays that way.
So all my friends...... so long for now and hope you all had a very happy and safe Easter.
" Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover...............(Mark Twain)
S/V "Gypsy Soul'