Gypsy Crossings

Tropical Storminess

We knew the potential for a good tropical storm would come eventually, and it has. Hurricane Genevieve has made her presence known!

Bob has been busy for a week now getting Gypsy storm-ready. Our rented studio is the new home to our dinghy, the paddle boards, the main sail and an a sundry of other boat items. Lines are spider-webbed, halyards all secured and Gypsy looks naked.

Boats of all sizes and shapes have been parading into the marina for two days now. We recognize some of the boats from our stay in Cabo San Lucas. The storm is supposed to be a bit worse over at the tip of Baja California Sur so they have come seeking shelter. Some have opted out of the water into the boatyard, others have become new neighbors in the slips.

The surge started last evening noted by a slight rocking of Gypsy and some gentle swirling seen in the water. We took a walk down to the beach area and couldn’t believe what we saw. The wind hadn’t started yet but the ocean was churning. Waves crashed over the breakwater that I was once sure would hold back any stormy sea. The beaches were underwater and the parking lot, atop a 15’ cliff, was slowly being washed away. The white rocks you see in the picture above are at the current edge of the cliff. They were markers for cars to park. Bob would sit on one every morning and watch the sunrise. We’re sure that this morning those rocks are gone. The picture also highlights why the Sea of Cortez was once called the Vermillion Sea.

Currently the rain and wind are underway although not extreme at the moment. There’s a good possibility the area will lose power sometime today and who knows what else. We’re ready though. Hunkered down and staying alert. I’ll keep you posted after the storm passes, probably with a new album in the Gallery. By this time tomorrow Genevieve will be well on her way northwest, dissipating as she goes.

Comments