Gypsy Wife

25 March 2021 | Frontares
24 January 2021
10 February 2020 | Castillo de San Felipe

The 2020 Sailing: January - May

15 January 2020
Robert Starbird
Gypsy Wife is docked in Frontaras, Rio Dulce this month. We're working to complete sailing preparations and expect to push off in February.

While I would like to sail the Honduran Bay Islands this spring - Isla de Utila, Roatan, Guanaja, Cayos Conchinos - I think we'll head to Belize initially.




Francois Cloutier, Terry Thielen, and Suzanne Lefebvre and I explore Monasterio de Santo Domingo in Antigua.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gypsy Wife
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan-Catalina Classic 41 1989
Hailing Port: Washington, DC
Crew: Capt. Bob Starbird & Terry Thielen
About: Gypsy Wife - USCG COD #951835 ; QUAFIX 406 PLB ID 2DCE57721AFFBFF, MMSI #: 368016170 Morgan 41, slope rig, white hull blue stripe #327, built 1989, 54hp Yanmar, Capt. Robert Starbird, 202.288.3490, rstarbird at yahoo.com Crew: Terry Thielen, 202.256.7502, etthielen at yahoo.com
Social:
Gypsy Wife's Photos - Main
Saturday we sailed with friends, Mike and Steve, and Ace on their boat Nightbreeze about 15 miles to Denny's Beach. On the chart picture you see San Felipe the start at the top and Punta Brava at the bottom, the finish. The sail took about three hours. The wind was on the beam or behind all the way down which made for a great sail. Absolutely beautiful sunshine and light winds. On arrival we went to shore for a local fish and burrito dinner and a few beers. Later watched the full moon rise. Sunday the wind shifted to the west and made a perfect sail back. We made the distance again in about 3 hours and stopped at the Castillo de San Felipe which has been restored. It was established in 1651. Attached are a few pictures from the day.
56 Photos
Created 10 February 2020
The Quirigua Mayan Ruin (2000 BC to 250 AD) is a small site not far from the Rio Dulce. The ruins are decorated with carvings of Kings and creatures including turtles and snakes. The run is surrounded by lush forest with the most amazing trees. Several building have been partially restored.
39 Photos
Created 4 October 2019
This album contains specifications on the Morgan Classic 41'
4 Photos
Created 16 September 2019
The album contains a map of Guatemala and fine detail map of the Rio Dolce river from Livingston to Frontaras (Mar Marine).
2 Photos
Created 16 September 2019
Fall 2019
2 Photos
Created 16 September 2019
This is our previous boat "China Rose." A Columbia 36'. A wonderful sailing boat though, like may boat of this period, it was quite narrow and a small space for cruising.
5 Photos | 21 Sub-Albums
Created 30 March 2016

Gypsy Wife

Who: Capt. Bob Starbird & Terry Thielen
Port: Washington, DC
test side block
test foot block