Happiness is being on the Water

24 September 2019 | NYC
18 September 2019 | Waterford, NY
04 May 2018 | Oriental, NC
03 March 2018 | Black Point South Bay on Great Guana Cay
09 February 2018 | Hog Cay
24 January 2018 | Duncan Town
09 January 2018 | George Town, Great Exuma Island
23 December 2017 | Black Point Settlement
19 December 2017 | Palm Beach Florida
06 December 2017 | Vero Beach City Marina
27 November 2017 | Merritt Island Cocoa Beach, Florida
23 November 2017 | Marineland, Florida
19 November 2017 | Marsh Island, St. John’s River near Jacksonsville, FL.
28 May 2017 | Oriental, NC
15 April 2017 | Allans-Pensacola
05 April 2017 | Lynyard Cay
20 March 2017 | Salt Pond, Long Island, Bahamas
14 March 2017 | George Town, Bahamas
23 February 2017 | George Town, 🇧🇸

Up the Delaware Bay to the Chesapeake

29 September 2015 | Chesapeake Bay
Sunny and windy
We left the Atlantic Highland's mooring in Sandy Hook NJ at 1:00 PM on Sunday, September 27th with a planned arrival at Cape May, NJ around 11:00 AM the following morning. We had an ebb flowing tid leaving Sandy Hook colliding with the East driven waves off of the Atlantic. These conditions caused very steep 6-8' breaking waves with a 3 to 4 second internals. At one point Scheherazade buried her bow into a breaking wave which sent a wall of water down the decks and over the cabin top. We endured these conditions for the next two hours. When we could make the turn and head south down the NJ coast, the ride became somewhat better. The highlight of the evening was watching the lunar eclipse of the harvest moon and passing by Atlantic City which was all lit up and could be seen 8 miles off shore.

We arrived at Cape May at 10:00 AM and anchored in front of the coast guard station. Deb attempted to release the anchor only to find the bolt which holds it in place was jammed. So Ron went up and discovered the anchor had gotten forced back 5" as a result of the pounding waves at Sandy Hook. He also found a bolt from the roller furling lying on the deck. That lead him to remove the three remaining bolts, which he then coated with Loctite and reinstalled. Next it was time to repair the bow running light which had stopped working during the night. It ends up that when the anchor moved back it hit the light and broke the filament in the bulb. The last repair for the morning was to readajust the fittings on the bow roller which holds the anchor in place. Once the repairs were all finished, we had our breakfast/lunch and took a nice long nap. Our friend Pierre off of Troika, stopped by after picking up some fuel. He and Ron discussed our trip up the Delaware Bay over a cold beer. It is now time for us to part ways. Troika is heading for Norfolk and Scheherazade is heading to Annapolis for the boat show.

The next morning, September 29th we got up bright and early to catch the flood tide to go up the Delaware Bay. The initial plan was to spend the night on the Delaware side of the Chesapeake Delaware Canal. However, we made good time and were able to catch the westward flow of the C&D canal, allowing us to move forward into the Chesapeake Bay. We spent the night anchored off of a sandy beach in front of some cottages off the Elk River. We traveled 80 miles today. Tomorrow we plan on being on the Chesapeake and traveling to Annapolis. As a side note we are monitoring the possibility of being hit by Hurricane Joaquin that is coming up the coast.

Comments
Vessel Name: Scheherazade
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 42'/ 1984
Hailing Port: Chaumont, NY
Crew: Ron and Deb Kurtz
About:
Ron is a retired instrumental music teacher. He has been sailing since he was a young man (1970) on Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor, NY. His dream has always been to own his own sailboat and anchor it in Henderson Harbor. Well, that dream has come true. [...]
Extra: The S/V Scheherazade's home port is Chaumont Bay in Chaumont, NY. Scheherazade is now on her way back from the Bahamas for the summer months.
Social:
Scheherazade 's Photos - Main
Locking through the Locks Erie Canal and Mohawk River
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
Scheherazade anchored out in front of Jerry and Donna’s house
5 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 19 November 2017
Putting Mast up.
4 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
2nd Trip to the Bahamas
2 Photos | 12 Sub-Albums
Created 31 August 2016
This is our first trip to the Bahamas
14 Photos | 22 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2015