Happiness is being on the Water

24 September 2019 | NYC
18 September 2019 | Waterford, NY
04 May 2018 | Oriental, NC
03 March 2018 | Black Point South Bay on Great Guana Cay
09 February 2018 | Hog Cay
24 January 2018 | Duncan Town
09 January 2018 | George Town, Great Exuma Island
23 December 2017 | Black Point Settlement
19 December 2017 | Palm Beach Florida
06 December 2017 | Vero Beach City Marina
27 November 2017 | Merritt Island Cocoa Beach, Florida
23 November 2017 | Marineland, Florida
19 November 2017 | Marsh Island, St. John’s River near Jacksonsville, FL.
28 May 2017 | Oriental, NC
15 April 2017 | Allans-Pensacola
05 April 2017 | Lynyard Cay
20 March 2017 | Salt Pond, Long Island, Bahamas
14 March 2017 | George Town, Bahamas
23 February 2017 | George Town, 🇧🇸

Nassau into the Northern Exumas

31 December 2015 | Baldwinsville
Deb Kurtz
We spent more time in Nassau than planned, however, we are glad we stayed as long as we did. When the strong low pressure system came through it blew for two days 25-30 K with gusts to 40. We were not even able to get off of the boat because the boat was blown so far away from the dock. Chris Parker (the person we contact daily for weather reports) reported there was a gust of 106 knots in the Central Exumas. Even if the anemometer was not calibrated perfectly, that is still a very high wind speed. He even said, he wasn't sure what meteorologist were calling this type of wind event.

During the last couple of days in Nassau, Ron noticed that the battery monitor was not reading the correct voltage levels. He took his multi meter and check the voltage of all the batteries, they were fine. However, the battery monitor was showing lower levels. After checking all of the connections in the system, he decided it was time to call in an electrician. After 45 minutes of diagnostics, it was determined that all of the connections were good. He then asked Ron to start the engine. When Ron went to start the engine, there was nothing but a clicking sound. The engine would not start. The electrician looked back by the battery cables and could see a sparking at the negative bus bar. It was determined that one of the main ground wires had a screw that needed to be tightened. Repair completed. All is good and it only cost $150.00.

The following day we fueled up and got underway at 9:00 AM and headed across the Banks to the Northern Exumas. Our new friends on Quest (Bob and Julie) suggested we put in a way point between the White and Yellow Banks (The White and Yellow Banks are dotted with coral heads.) By taking this route, we did not see any coral heads. And it only added five miles to our trip.

Our initial destination was Allan Cay. When we got there the winds were blowing in the mid teens out of the NW with a following swell. When we got into the anchorage it seemed to be pretty full, so we turned around and head on further south to Highborne Cay. Once there, we tucked into the north west corner behind Highborne Rocks and anchored for the night.

The next morning we awoke to sunny skies and calm seas. We pulled anchor and headed further south to the beautiful anchorage at Shroud Cay. After lunch we dropped the dinghy in the water and immediately started exploring the Island. We went to the far north end and entered a creek which wound through mangroves until you reached the end, which opened up to the ocean that presented bright blue waters and a beautiful pristine beach. The sand was so white and soft that it went up to our ankles when we wiggled our toes. Not only was the ocean and beach beautiful, but the wild life that we saw while going through the mangrove was incredible. During our ride we saw six turtles, one of them was accompanied by two very large anglel fish. We also saw many other various species of fish and a stingray. It is great to be in the Islands.

Tomorrow we will move further south to Warderick Wells which is one of the best anchorages in an area know as in the Exumas Park.

Please note: This posting is being sent via SSB, therefore pictures can not be included. We will post pictures when we get to wifi.
Comments
Vessel Name: Scheherazade
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 42'/ 1984
Hailing Port: Chaumont, NY
Crew: Ron and Deb Kurtz
About:
Ron is a retired instrumental music teacher. He has been sailing since he was a young man (1970) on Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor, NY. His dream has always been to own his own sailboat and anchor it in Henderson Harbor. Well, that dream has come true. [...]
Extra: The S/V Scheherazade's home port is Chaumont Bay in Chaumont, NY. Scheherazade is now on her way back from the Bahamas for the summer months.
Social:
Scheherazade 's Photos - Main
Locking through the Locks Erie Canal and Mohawk River
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
Scheherazade anchored out in front of Jerry and Donna’s house
5 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 19 November 2017
Putting Mast up.
4 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
2nd Trip to the Bahamas
2 Photos | 12 Sub-Albums
Created 31 August 2016
This is our first trip to the Bahamas
14 Photos | 22 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2015