Happiness is being on the Water

24 September 2019 | NYC
18 September 2019 | Waterford, NY
04 May 2018 | Oriental, NC
03 March 2018 | Black Point South Bay on Great Guana Cay
09 February 2018 | Hog Cay
24 January 2018 | Duncan Town
09 January 2018 | George Town, Great Exuma Island
23 December 2017 | Black Point Settlement
19 December 2017 | Palm Beach Florida
06 December 2017 | Vero Beach City Marina
27 November 2017 | Merritt Island Cocoa Beach, Florida
23 November 2017 | Marineland, Florida
19 November 2017 | Marsh Island, St. John’s River near Jacksonsville, FL.
28 May 2017 | Oriental, NC
15 April 2017 | Allans-Pensacola
05 April 2017 | Lynyard Cay
20 March 2017 | Salt Pond, Long Island, Bahamas
14 March 2017 | George Town, Bahamas
23 February 2017 | George Town, 🇧🇸

Lee Stocking Island, Rock Sound, Hatchett Bay to Lynyard Cay

29 March 2016 | Tilloo Cay
Cloudy and Rainy, Warm 76
On March 17th we arrived at Lee Stocking Island and anchored in front of an abandoned research center that was at one time supported by several universities. At first glance we thought the island was occupied, however, when we hiked the island we found the research center to be completely abandoned. If you ever saw the series “Lost” on TV, then you have a picture of what this research center looked like. When walking through the compound, the movie “Jurassic Park” also came to mind. It was sort of eerie. During our stay we hiked to what is known as the highest point in the Exumas. The view was breath taking. Later in the day we snorkeled on beautiful coral heads off of the west side of another island called Normans Pond.

The next day we sailed to Black Point to stage for our sail Rock Sound on Eleuthera Island. During our stay at Rock Sound we rented a car and visited many of the small towns that make up this 90 mile long island. One of the beautiful sites we saw was "The Glass Window" (See photo gallery for pictures). While anchored in one of the bays, called Hatchett Bay, we hitchhiked to a really big dark cave that is a mile and a half long. We did not go into every little tunnel, but we did explore most of it. It actually had three levels. We went down two ladders to the deepest level, but most of the exploring was on the second level. Luckily we did not run into any bats.

On March 26th we sailed further north and anchored in the bay at Royal Island where we spent the night. The next morning we sailed 55 miles to Little Harbor and anchored off Lynyard Cay, our first stop in the Abacos Islands. During the day Ron was experiencing some pain in his abdomen, which got progressively worse during the next couple of days. So on Monday morning, we made contact with a person named Gordie from Cigatoo. Gordie is a cruiser who makes daily weather reports on the cruisers net. I asked him if he knew how we could get medical help. He immediately said he would help us. Another cruising friend, Paul on S/V 2 Outrageous came over to our boat by dinghy and helped us move the sailboat to another anchorage which was just outside of Little Harbor. When we got there, Gordie was waiting for us. He then drove us 40 minutes to a physician’s office. To our surprise, another cruising friend Bob from S/V Quest was at the clinic waiting for us as well. This is just one example of how the cruising community watches out for one another. So, after some ingestion of pain killers and antibiotics Ron is on the road to recovery.

We are leaving today to our next destination, Tilloo Cay.






Comments
Vessel Name: Scheherazade
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 42'/ 1984
Hailing Port: Chaumont, NY
Crew: Ron and Deb Kurtz
About:
Ron is a retired instrumental music teacher. He has been sailing since he was a young man (1970) on Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor, NY. His dream has always been to own his own sailboat and anchor it in Henderson Harbor. Well, that dream has come true. [...]
Extra: The S/V Scheherazade's home port is Chaumont Bay in Chaumont, NY. Scheherazade is now on her way back from the Bahamas for the summer months.
Social:
Scheherazade 's Photos - Main
Locking through the Locks Erie Canal and Mohawk River
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
Scheherazade anchored out in front of Jerry and Donna’s house
5 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 19 November 2017
Putting Mast up.
4 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
2nd Trip to the Bahamas
2 Photos | 12 Sub-Albums
Created 31 August 2016
This is our first trip to the Bahamas
14 Photos | 22 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2015