Happiness is being on the Water

24 September 2019 | NYC
18 September 2019 | Waterford, NY
04 May 2018 | Oriental, NC
03 March 2018 | Black Point South Bay on Great Guana Cay
09 February 2018 | Hog Cay
24 January 2018 | Duncan Town
09 January 2018 | George Town, Great Exuma Island
23 December 2017 | Black Point Settlement
19 December 2017 | Palm Beach Florida
06 December 2017 | Vero Beach City Marina
27 November 2017 | Merritt Island Cocoa Beach, Florida
23 November 2017 | Marineland, Florida
19 November 2017 | Marsh Island, St. John’s River near Jacksonsville, FL.
28 May 2017 | Oriental, NC
15 April 2017 | Allans-Pensacola
05 April 2017 | Lynyard Cay
20 March 2017 | Salt Pond, Long Island, Bahamas
14 March 2017 | George Town, Bahamas
23 February 2017 | George Town, 🇧🇸

Beginning of Our Trip South

08 September 2016 | Sylvan Beach
Hot, muggy winds 0-5 E
On Thursday, September 1, at 6:25 AM we quietly slipped away from our dock in Chaumont Bay to begin our second journey back to the Bahamas. Of course we have many legs to complete before we reach our final destination. When we left the marina the winds were at our stern, blowing lighter that was predicted. So, the first stop, after a 7 hour motor sail, was the Port of Oswego Marina where we had the mast taken down so that we can go through the locks on the New York Canal. Everything went smoothly with the mast take down, other than my complaining about how heavy the sails are to take off of the boat, fold and put down below into the cabin. They seem to get heavier each year.

While we were at the marina, a large Polynesian catamaran from Hawaii pulled in and tied up at the marina's north wall. The boat had 12 people aboard. They will be traveling 60,000-natical miles visiting 27 nations. The mission is titled "Malama Honua" which means to care for our island the Earth. They are looking to see how other nations are protecting the environment. They said that NY is one of five states that recycle. That felt good to hear. We wished them safe travels and of course gave them a donation.

The next day we left the Oswego Marina to start our trip up the canal. We went through seven locks. Once we went through the Phoenix Lock we tied up to the wooden dock where we stayed for a couple of days. This lock is just a few miles away from where our kids live. We had dinner with them, spent the night and said our sad goodbyes in the morning. We will be flying back to see them during the Christmas holidays so it wasn't too bad saying our goodbyes.

On Sunday, September 4, we went through Lock 23 to Brewerton where we stayed on the south wall for the night. One of my work friends John and his wife Nancy stopped by to see us. They have a home in Brewerton on the river. It was really nice catching up with them.

The next morning, we crossed Oneida Lake and tied up to the north wall in Sylan Beach where we planned to wait for our dock mates MaryBeth and Joe to catch up to us on Sapphire, their Tartan 37. While waiting for them, our friends Jerry, Karen, Liz and Mike joined us for a homemade spaghetti dinner. It was a lot of fun talking about our cruising adventures. Both couples have been to the Bahamas and back many times. MaryBeth and Joe caught up to us yesterday, September 7, and tied up behind us. Last night we all went to the restaurant, "Crazy Clams" for Wing night. This morning we said a very sad good bye to Jerry, Karen, Liz and Mike. We will move on with MaryBeth, Joe and their dog Flexy on Sapphire in the morning.
Comments
Vessel Name: Scheherazade
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 42'/ 1984
Hailing Port: Chaumont, NY
Crew: Ron and Deb Kurtz
About:
Ron is a retired instrumental music teacher. He has been sailing since he was a young man (1970) on Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor, NY. His dream has always been to own his own sailboat and anchor it in Henderson Harbor. Well, that dream has come true. [...]
Extra: The S/V Scheherazade's home port is Chaumont Bay in Chaumont, NY. Scheherazade is now on her way back from the Bahamas for the summer months.
Social:
Scheherazade 's Photos - Main
Locking through the Locks Erie Canal and Mohawk River
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
Scheherazade anchored out in front of Jerry and Donna’s house
5 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 19 November 2017
Putting Mast up.
4 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
2nd Trip to the Bahamas
2 Photos | 12 Sub-Albums
Created 31 August 2016
This is our first trip to the Bahamas
14 Photos | 22 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2015