Happiness is being on the Water

24 September 2019 | NYC
18 September 2019 | Waterford, NY
04 May 2018 | Oriental, NC
03 March 2018 | Black Point South Bay on Great Guana Cay
09 February 2018 | Hog Cay
24 January 2018 | Duncan Town
09 January 2018 | George Town, Great Exuma Island
23 December 2017 | Black Point Settlement
19 December 2017 | Palm Beach Florida
06 December 2017 | Vero Beach City Marina
27 November 2017 | Merritt Island Cocoa Beach, Florida
23 November 2017 | Marineland, Florida
19 November 2017 | Marsh Island, St. John’s River near Jacksonsville, FL.
28 May 2017 | Oriental, NC
15 April 2017 | Allans-Pensacola
05 April 2017 | Lynyard Cay
20 March 2017 | Salt Pond, Long Island, Bahamas
14 March 2017 | George Town, Bahamas
23 February 2017 | George Town, 🇧🇸

The Bahamas Back to The USA

04 May 2018 | Oriental, NC
Sunny, Winds SSW 10 MPH 81 degrees
Since my last blog entry, Ron and I sailed our boat to the Abacos which are the northern islands in the Bahamas. As we were getting closer to the Marsh Harbour anchorage our really good cruising friends Tim, Karen and their sweetheart dog “Poppy” hailed us on the radio. Sadly, we did not think we would have the opportunity to see them this season due to their tight sailing schedule. However, to our delight they surprised us and met us in the anchorage at Marsh Harbour. We spent two fantastic weeks with them cruising around the various islands in the area. During this time, we met up with other cruising friends including Cindy and Tom on Oopsea; Donna and Jerry on Blue Jacket; Vickie, Ron and Ruby on Twlight Traveler; Debi and Carl on River Rat; and Gill, Sharlene and Blue on First Love. After we said our very sad goodbyes to Tim, Karen and Poopy, my friend Anna flew in to Marsh Harbor from our home town Baldwinsville, NY and joined us in our adventures back to the various islands, Man-O-War Cay, Guana Cay, Treasure Cay and Hopetown. While anchored at Tahiti Beach off of Great Abaco Island, we rented a golf cart and drove into Hopetown and shopped at their many gift and specialty shops. While there, we took a water taxi over to Elbow Cay and climbed the 100 plus steps to the top of the Elbow Reef Lighthouse. The light house was built in 1863 to improve navigation and decrease the amount of shipwrecks. This is one of the last manualy operated lighthouses in the world. The lamp burns pressurized Kerosene oil with a wick and mantle. Today, the Elbow Reef Lighthouse is still sending out light and can be seen 17 miles away.

After saying our sad goodbyes to Anna, we sailed our way further North to Green Turtle Cay where we met up with MaryBeth and Joe on S/V Sapphire. They are our dock mates and good friends from back home. The following day we moved on to Manjack Cay along with Sapphire and Persephone where we spent a few days, snorkeling, hiking and just plain having fun.

Our next move was to Great Sale Cay, where we staged our crossing through the gulf stream back to the US. That last night in the Bahamas was a little stormy. There was some moderate wind, lighting and thunder. However, we were well protected from the South West winds that blew most of the night. We left Great Sale Cay at 6:30 AM on Wednesday, April 24 along with our close friends Marybeth and Joe on Sapphire. Karen and Jerry on Persephone spent the night at Double Breasted Cay and joined us as well during the crossing. We were able to sail most of the time as the winds were in our favor. We did hit a squall on the second evening out, which only lasted about ½ hour. I was on watch and had to wake up Ron so that we could put a reef in the main sail and bring in the head sail. We were in good shape when the squall hit us. Once it passed we put the sails back to full capacity.

All three sailboats arrived in Beaufort, NC at various times on Saturday, April 28. Once in Beaufort, we docked our boat along with Sapphire at Homer Smith's Docks and Marina. This is a marina where the working fishing boats drop off their catch for packing and shipping. The marina owner, Tony gave us a tour of the fishing boats unloading their catch. We were able to purchase some fresh sword fish and scallops right off the boat. We had a fantastic time while at this marina. The marina owner and dock master are the nicest people we have every met. In addition to their nice hospitality they have a courtesy car, free laundry, nice shower and lounge. It was hard to leave, but all good things must come to an end.

We are presently at Deaton's Yacht Services in Oriental, NC where we plan on having some minor repairs done to the boat prior to our trip back to Syracuse. I will let you know when we are on the move again. Until then Happy Spring to you all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Scheherazade
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 42'/ 1984
Hailing Port: Chaumont, NY
Crew: Ron and Deb Kurtz
About:
Ron is a retired instrumental music teacher. He has been sailing since he was a young man (1970) on Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor, NY. His dream has always been to own his own sailboat and anchor it in Henderson Harbor. Well, that dream has come true. [...]
Extra: The S/V Scheherazade's home port is Chaumont Bay in Chaumont, NY. Scheherazade is now on her way back from the Bahamas for the summer months.
Social:
Scheherazade 's Photos - Main
Locking through the Locks Erie Canal and Mohawk River
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
Scheherazade anchored out in front of Jerry and Donna’s house
5 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 19 November 2017
Putting Mast up.
4 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
2nd Trip to the Bahamas
2 Photos | 12 Sub-Albums
Created 31 August 2016
This is our first trip to the Bahamas
14 Photos | 22 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2015